Really annoying random screen black out.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ruffdayz, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Hi all,

Got a completely random and rather irritating problem.

I don't believe it's OS nor driver related, and literally just did it then whilst typing this out.

It can happen several times a day (like today), or can go for weeks without showing up.

I'll be working away doing whatever (browsing net, playing a game, anything), and the primary monitor will go completely blank. No "error", or nothing.

Nothing in Event Viewer either.

So far I have:
    Swapped over the monitor HDMI cables - same problem.
    swapped over the monitor HDMI ports (HDMI1 to HDMI 2 on back of monitor) - same problem.
    Swapped over power bricks for monitors - same problem.
    Swapped physical monitors - Waiting to see if same problem.

Anyone seen this sort of problem before?

In addition I have two identically setup Samsung 24" LCDs, and yet somehow one has a far brighter more vibrant picture (my primary monitor which has this black out issue). Anyone seen that before?

Thanks for any replies.

2. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

UPDATE: Did it again, and kinda confirms what I thought (unfortunately). This time the original monitor that was doing it, did it again.

So kinda confirms the problem is the monitor.

Now the question is:
    1. Why is it doing it?
    2. Is it worth fixing/Can it be fixed?
    3. Is it worth worrying about or likely to get worse?

3. Groff

Groff Member

I've seen a dud monitor cause a pc not to boot before.

I looked at what I thought was everything. Changed drive, cables, fresh install etc etc etc. and it still happened intermittently. I even got them to run the pc on a different power circuit.
    It wasn't until my relo called me to look at it again and they just happen to have an old small spare monitor lying around so I swapped the monitors just for giggles.
    The problem never came back so ended up getting a new monitor.

4. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Yeah I'm hoping it's not that. Weren't cheap monitors at the time of purchase (about $350 a piece), and slim bezel Samsungs bought as a pair (because I prefer duals). I've got other monitors I could sub in (28" or 32" Curved AOC) but these 2 x 24"s fit really nicely.

5. Groff

Groff Member

Are you able to try the monitor in question with a different pc for a while?

6. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Hi mate, when this happens do you have to reboot to get the monitor to work? If this is the case try update the motherboard BIOS and see how it goes. I had this issue before with an office build for my family member and after all the troubleshooting I updated the motherboard BIOS and the issue went away.

7. rthy

rthy Member

if reseat didnt fix the problem, might be tie for a new one unfortunately.

8. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

This is my primary PC, I pretty much use it daily. This issue might happen a few times in an hour, and then not surface for a week/a fortnight/a month (that's how random it is).

Nope, no need to reboot as it fixes itself. It is literally like a light switch, flicks off for 1-2 seconds, then back on. Sometimes it's just the one time, others it could do it 3-5 times in a row. I've swapped power supplies (they have power bricks) and same issue occurs (ruling that out).

I'm wondering if perhaps the power circuit internally is slightly different, as I have identical monitors (side by side same model/make and bought at same time). One is noticably more vibrant (the one having problems) than the other, despite all being on default settings.

9. shredder

shredder Member

It's almost certainly a hardware issue with the screen, as shown by your isolating troubleshooting method. (i.e. "other screens don't replicate the issue")

What model of screen and how old is it?

Usually the psu components inside the screen would be first suspect. But with a external brick (which you have already replaced) that is of course less relevant.

Could still open 'er up (the screen) and visually inspect components particularly capacitors for any leak or bulging.

The screen's on/off switch reliability is also a quick component check you can do.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  10. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Samsung S24D590L, and just found the receipt. Looks like I bought them at different times (which now thinking hard about it, I think I got one at JB Hifi, no idea when though).

For the one I found receipt for it cost me $228 at the time and was bought Jan 2015. The other one would be at least 3 years old as I bought it before we last moved.

If it gets any worse or more frequent that might be my next option, although Samsung I think have a service centre in Sydney, might be able to ask them.

It's a multi purpose button. Push in to bring up menu, toggle down to "Power off", and press in to select.

11. Groff

Groff Member

Icure on Parramatta Rd Granville.

ruffdayz likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Cheers mate, I'll make a note of that if I need them.

Groff likes this.