Realtek ALC892 HD Audio

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Mr Bubbles, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mr Bubbles

Mr Bubbles Member

Some motherboards out now with this chip but I can't find much information about it. Nothing even on the Realtek web site. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new lounge PC (connected to a receiver through HDMI or optical) so I was wondering if there's any reason to get a mobo with this chip over the ALC889.

Edit
    From what I've since found it seems to be that the ALC892 supports the streaming of the new lossless multichanel codecs like Dolby True HD and DTS HD (just a big wank imo). So not worth getting unless you have a receiver that supports it. Even then it's probably pretty hard to distinguish from DD at ~ 600 kbps or DTS at ~1,500 kbps. Since the ALC889 supports Dolby Live I reckon that's all I need.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. Hibba

Hibba Member

Just be aware there are two differnt versions of the ALC889, one supports DDL (ALC889D) and the other does not (ALC889)

3. avachat

avachat Member

So if there are only two Realtek 889's, the ALC889 and ALC889D, what is the ALC889A?:confused:

4. Hibba

Hibba Member

Welll ALC889 and 889A are the same thing :D

To be more correct they are The ALC889-GR and the ALC889DD-GR the latter supporting DDL

5. avachat

avachat Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhh thanks for that:)

6. OP
    OP
    Mr Bubbles

Mr Bubbles Member

Anyone know what chip/mobo supports DTS Connect (live DTS 5.1/7.1 encoding)?