Reaper Paste (15+/10)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by daehenoc, Mar 29, 2015.

1. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Holy... Guys at work have collected a reasonable selection of hot sauces and I've had most of them - some are pretty hot! I'm not a mad chilli guy, but I have consumed pretty hot stuff (had some bhut jolokia seeds before, was closest I've come to hallucinating without something illegal).

I found some "Reaper Paste" from the local butcher, and had some today. It's got Carolina Reaper Chillies (80%) in it, and wow, it's INTENSE. Made me fairly wobbly, even with dark chocolate, milk and yoghurt on hand and consumed after about 45 seconds.

Has anyone else had this sauce?

(p.s. on the label, it's rated 15+/10, hence the OP title)

Edit: DUUUR. A quick google search shows:
    http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...per-sets-new-record-for-hottest-chilli-53033/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Reaper
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

Well DUH, IT'S HOT.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Hetty

Hetty Member

I grow reapers (amongst lots of other things) but wouldn't try that. I tried the scorpion strike sauce from them a couple of years ago and it hurt my ear canals.

Have a look at The Hippy Seed Company's tests on YouTube. They eat whole reapers, nagas, etc.

3. BFM666

BFM666 Member

love this stuff, ill generally put 1/3 - 1/2 a teaspoon when im making a stirfry. the stuff tastes delicious and it fecking hot to boot :thumbup:

4. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

I think the hottest I've had was bhut jolokia, was bloody nice, only gave me the sweats. I'm not into too much self-torture lol.

A few friends tried some of the ghost chili's shortly after seeing me survive through it.... needless to say the next 15 minutes should have been recorded :lol:

This stuff would probably put me six foot under! But I'm getting kinda keen :Paranoid:

5. OP
    OP
    daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I'm actually getting more used to it, just dipping the tip of a teaspoon in and tasting that was amazingly hot, now, I can have about a 1/4 teaspoon on a cracker and it's still HOT, but not too bad.

Anyone wants me to pick up a jar for them, let me know :) (p.s. not cheap, $20 my buy price for 110ml? Will have to check, the bottle is at work!)

6. Hetty

Hetty Member

My chilli tolerance has really improved as well. I'm now chopping up fresh superhots on my curries and it's making them "warm" rather than hot. A couple of months ago I could hardly handle them.

7. sjobeck

sjobeck Member

I tried some of this tonight. Pinhead sized drop was pretty damned hot. Unlike their other chilli sauces this one is just chilli and vinegar so should probably just be used as an additive to soups, curries strifrys etc but sparingly.

Their scorpion strike is my go to sauce. Suprisingly tolerable for a chilli this hot and very tasty. I put this stuff on everything!

8. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Love my Scorpion Strike bbq sauce, but haven't yet tried the reaper.

Will have to give it a go now for sure.

[​IMG]

9. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

I had the Scorpion Strike at a festival at the Chilli Factory stand they had there. Nice amount of it on a water cracker. Hot yes, but I went without water or anything else to quench it. Didn't feel like I was going to die. If that was 15/10 then their scale is broken.

The paste might be somewhat stronger, but again they only mark it 15+/10, whatever that means.