Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - Mini Review

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by GregDude, Aug 15, 2019.

1. GregDude

GregDude Member

Want to play a space game that is NOT like Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky or X4?
    Rebel Galaxy Outcast is a space themed action adventure where the gameplay is all about the destination, not the journey.

It's a bit like Wing Commander meets Privateer meets Commander Keen.

This is not a space sim, it's more an action game, best played, at least at first, with the auto pursuit control that has you focus on fine aiming and shooting. I must admit I'm still coming to grips with the controls and may reconfigure them a bit. There is an overarching story that motivates you, while missions, trade, combat and equipment upgrades create role playing style progression. Like Grand Theft Auto, there are a bunch of side games like an arcade machine, pool table and some gambling games. Rather than pure distraction or novelty, these can help the main game with equipment or money prizes. I am yet to try any.

The game is pretty, but intentionally closer to pixel arty. It is what the future looked like from the 80s and pays homage to the games and tech of that era. If you're too young to remember the 80s, trust us, it was awesome, technology and space exploration had us excited without limit, the threat of nuclear annihilation ever present, and we're still looking forward to the year 2000.

Other reviewers say they played for over 20hrs, so looks like 20+hrs first time gameplay.
    I've played one hour so far. Finished a few side quests and am perhaps half way through first mission.
    There is no tutorial or much direction, so you get to figure out the game as you go. You will need to run some side missions be capable of completing even the first story mission.
    I can't wait to play some more!

Q&A

Q: I hate Epic DRM and love Steam DRM!?
    A: Think of it this way, buy now and you get to support developers with a higher cut of market price.
    Buy now and you support customers with more competition later for non exclusive titles.

Q: But I hate the Epic Launcher!?
    A: Are we still on this? Click Create Shortcut, then launch from desktop thereafter.

Q: It say supports HOTAS, and I got HOTAS!?
    A: So it says. Just leave that HOTAS for now, grab gamepad and play like action game.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Agg likes this.
  2. T-Bones

T-Bones Member

3. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I've only played a short time but I'm not a huge fan of how the ships control and how it feels a little like an on rails experience.

Its definitely an interesting game though.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Apparently it can be tweaked to be quite full on to control ships but by default it sorta does it all for you.

6. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

That cockpit view looks so familiar...

7. joxer

joxer Member

Yeah I must say this tweaked my interest because I'm a fan of Wing Commander and Privateer but I no longer have a working joystick

I take it this doesn't require a joystick to enjoy it? But then I feel it would be like playing a car sim with a mouse or gamepad...which is bleh

8. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

i read that you can play it on a controller, and you can turn on auto-pilot whilst you focus on the pew pew (or turn it off if you want more difficulty)

The only thing i don't like about it is the smaller ships compared to the capital ships in the first game :D

9. OP
    OP
    GregDude

GregDude Member

It's not designed as a joystick game. Gamepad yes, mouse yes. It's an action game. It's recommended you use the auto-pursuit and auto-pilot, so there is minimal flight dynamics, more arcade aiming and tactical decision making. I wouldn't hold off due to lack of joystick. Try mouse now and consider picking up a cheap xbox controller (<$30 for wired sometimes) sometime for future games.

10. ysu

ysu Member

TBH I don't like the Epic launcher thing (it's rather dysfunctional), but the reason I'm not jumping in is that you can't try & refund games.
    It's the single biggest reason I'll stick to Steam.

Which is also the reason I love to see honest, simple reviews like this. I don't want an action game, so it's easy to pass. :)

Thanks guys!