Recall on Intel® 6 Series Chipsets - Computer Alliance Policy

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Computer Alliance, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Computer Alliance

Computer Alliance Member

The purpose of this post is to outline Computer Alliance's response a recall of motherboards based on Intel Series 6 Chipsets (H67/P67 on Socket 1155 boards)

The Problem

Intel have informed the market of a design flaw in the Intel® 6 Series Chipsets which is present on Socket 1155 motherboards supporting second generation Intel i5 and i7 processors. This issue does not effect the Socket 1156 or 1366 motherboards.

In some cases, the Serial-ATA 2.0 ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. Intel are predicting that this problem may eventually effect about 5% of boards that make use of these ports.

This problem relates to the SATA 2.0 ports only. These chipsets also support at least 2 x SATA 3.0 ports which are not effected.

At Computer Alliance we have yet to have experience any boards exhibiting this potential fault (out of hundreds of systems currently in use by our customers that are potentially affected) and current information suggests the short term risk to users of these systems is small.

From Intel: “Intel recommends Channel customers stop building and shipping systems based on Intel® 6 Series Chipsets.”

Intel has resolved the problem at a manufacturing level and will ship new chipsets to motherboard manufactures in the near term. Replacement motherboards are expected in April.

Response

Computer Alliance will be offering replacement boards to clients as they become available.

We are contacting all impacted customers by phone to inform them of the potential issue and let all know that we will be in contact probably in April to arrange replacement of the effected motherboards as new stock becomes available.

For customers who cannot drop their systems into our workshop, Computer Alliance will arrange and pay for freight back to our workshop and arrange return of the repaired systems at no cost to the customer.

We recommend that customers with S1155 motherboards continue to use these systems as normal until replacement motherboards become available. As with any system, we suggest full and frequent backups.

We note that PCs sold including a single HDD and built by Computer Alliance are probably not effected by this problem even over the long term as a single HDD will normally make use of the SATA 3.0 ports.

Return of systems for replacement of motherboards is optional but recommended in most cases.

All systems remain covered by Computer Alliance standard 3 year warranty.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. shift

shift Member

affect(ed), not effect(ed).

EDIT: Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that it looks wrong/unprofessional.
    It's a very common mistake.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Computer Alliance

Computer Alliance Member

Ah, I see the forums have not changed.

I can never remember the difference between affected and effected and it rather crossed my mind that I should look it up while writing that post --- but one must prioritize limited time! err, is that z or s? Stuff it, also not looking it up.

4. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I used to do the same with enquiry/inquiry, so embarresing [​IMG]

5. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

I would agree on the part on looking professional. Goes a long way.

However, top marks for actually coming out and stating the policy - everyone knows exactly where they stand.

I would expect you have this plastered all over your website right now, plus facebook/twitter and any other avenue of communication you have with your customers?

6. OP
    OP
    Computer Alliance

Computer Alliance Member

Fortunatly for us we only recently switched over standard systems from S1156 configurations and many of our sales are to SMEs rather that just one offs to retail customers - so just one contact for multiple machines.

That translates to the problem impacting only a tiny proportion, and numerically only some hundreds, of our customers. Hence a phone call to each is practical and better to explain rather than a impersonal generic email/web notice.

We will probably put some information up relating to what is happening, but its not urgent given the phone contacts.

Only reason I posted here was when I saw there seems to be much speculation about how the problem will be handled, I though it worthwhile to clarify the issue for our clients. At least it makes the process and risks clear and its probably reasonable to expect most retailers to take similar action.

7. Rezin

Rezin Member

I'm sure your customers will appreciate that. Good to see a retailer go the extra mile where, as far as I know, they're not legally obliged to do so. :thumbup:

8. Skramit

Skramit Member

Mods perhaps a sticky with all the collective info from manufacturers and retailers might be useful?

9. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

good stuff

i wouldnt expect that. inform past purchasers by email/phone is sufficient, assuming the boards are pulled from sale.

many retailers wouldnt even notify past purchasers, just wait for them to contact them if/when something fails, so its good they are doing this.

10. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

good job CA....

seeing im over the phase of building computers, my next full build will be with you guys... professional

it would only be embarrassing if i cared.....if you made an attempt to make it legible, thats all that matters, some people have ridiculous standards that we must follow, or your just a fucking idiot.

11. oculi

oculi Member

its "you're" not "your".

learn to grammar.

12. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

i will, after i finish playing with myself:p