1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recent aviation snaps...

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Vladdo, Sep 11, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Sunday before last, we had a display formation of 3 CT-4s, 2 Winjeels and a Harvard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cynide

Cynide Member

Wow! Some fantastic photos!
    Are the images cropped or this is straight off the camera?
    Much post processing required?

3. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

person + love of subject matter = excellence!

outstanding shots, a pleasure to look at.

4. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Some of today's display featuring a 1943 SNJ-5B Texan/Harvard by Mike Falls Snr.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

herzeg likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Thanks mate. All images are cropped and have processing. Most of the formation stuff has little cropping, but all of the single aircraft shots, have anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of the frame cropped. I use Lightroom and have a number of presets for various lighting conditions. The presets took me a few years to get to a point which I'm happy with, but in terms of workflow, I just crop the keepers, apply a preset and then export out. A usual batch of pics of a single display will take me about 30-45 mins to download, cull, crop, process and upload.

Thanks Spanky.. Appreciated

6. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Yeah man, you got this down pat; so nice and crisp...

7. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Thanks Herzeg... watch this space.. 2 airshows in 2 weeks.. I'm gunna be exhausted!! hehe..

8. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

So I'm a bit bored waiting for Tyabb Airshow to arrive, so I figured I'd go back thru the archives and re-edit my F-22 Raptor shots from Avalon 2017. It's amazing when you rediscover old photos and give new life to them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

herzeg likes this.
  9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Nice, very nice....very, very nice.

Vladdo likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Thanks herzeg.. Was in the right place, right time :)

11. Derfman

Derfman Member

That said, I intend to get to Wings over Illawarra and Temora airshows in the new year.[/QUOTE]

Should be a few people keen on WOI this year, might be able to organise a meetup?

12. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Amazing shots with the Raptor. In your earlier photos I was paying particular attention to your exif data. Noticed you have several multi's used with the 500mm lens. In such an airshow how do you know when to switch, do you have a program ahead of time and know the distances well? I'm imagining standing in the crowd at an airshow with a big lens and several multi's. It's a lot more involved than just twisting the barrel on a zoom lens, and if you get it wrong you've missed your chance. How do you manage it?

13. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I can't get to WOI but may be able to for Temora.. But at this stage, I'm not sure.

Should be a few people keen on WOI this year, might be able to organise a meetup?[/QUOTE]

Thanks.. I have 2 bodies & 2 lenses.. a Canon 1DX2 + 500mm/4 + 2x extender & a Canon 5D4 + 100-400 II + 1.4x extender. I basically use the DX2+ 500*2 combo for single smallish planes/jets that are mostly doing aerobatics.. This is because I find the most interesting angles of when they're inverted in a loop with the canopy up. I use the 5D4 for takeoffs/landings and formation shots, or any large planes. With the 5d4 I find that I can get down to 1/50th for some really nice panning shots and some full disk props, whereas the 500/4 I can get down to 1/200th.. At 1000mm, my viewfinder is filled with about 2/3rds of the plane (mostly) so the margin of error is small but, I can really oversharpen images so when I downsample them for facebook etc, they look unbelievably sharp. The 5D4 also has 50% more pixels than the DX2 so there's a good allowance for cropping. Mostly it's just experience as to know what lens to use for any particular plane, but like I said before, prime for singles, zoom for formations as a general rule. The only real negative is the 5d4s frame rate which is 7, as opposed to 14 on the dx2 but I just love the full frame look and a 7D2 would really struggle with extenders/AF and iso performance would suck. I'll also add that I've had a lot of practice, which has helped a ton. I've probably been shooting aviation a couple of times a year for the last 10 years, but with midrange gear. I decided to step up to some highend gear about a year ago and that practice that I had with that midrange gear helped enormously. The sharpness/contrast at 1000mm is astonishing :)

If you're interested, I've been to two airshows in 8 days and have uploaded them to my facebook page.. check it out if you like.. been very impressed with the results..

https://www.facebook.com/drfphoto

14. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Cheers mate. I love aviation photos. Let me know if you put up an album of Aussie C130J's. My colleagues at LM would be very interested in taking a look.

15. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yarram Airshow from last weekend. Located in Victoria.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fredhoon likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18A Hornet A21-16 of 2 Operational Conversion Unit performing a flying display at the Melbourne Formula One Grand Prix, 25th March 2018.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

RAAF Roulettes at the Australian Grand Prix, yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]