Reciever keeps turning on

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by miicah, Mar 1, 2021.

1. miicah

miicah Member

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/htr-2071/index.html

I bought this AVR a while ago and finally bought a TV to support it. However I had to turn off all the CEC power controls on the TV as I would constantly wake up to find the TV and AVR turned on.

Now that I have solved the problem of the TV randomly turning on, I still wake up every morning to find the AVR has again, turned itself back on.

Anyone have any tips on what might be going on?

2. Technics

Technics Member

Did you try turning CEC control off on the AVR as well?

JSmithDTV likes this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I've had CEC devices get themselves in loops before

Turn one off, it sends shutdown signal to the other device, which then sends turn on signal back to the first device and they both start doing a boot loop dance... try to make sure the CEC is only happening in one direction, or it can get weird.

5. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

I think I've figured it out, I had my foxtel and switch plugged into the AVR and apparently devices connected to the AVR can send some sort of signal to the AVR which it interprets as you wanting to watch something. So it turns itself on. I've unplugged everything from the AVR and will see what happens.

Otherwise I guess I'll give up on ARC which is pretty fucking annoying.

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah and her I am.. go turn on a device and nothing wakes up!
    Have to turn on TV,AVR, and device all separately..

7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

In the old days I could never get CEC to work in anything approaching a reliable way, these days it's been pretty good across two TV's including one with a receiver. Although for one I had to swap out a brand new and known (thought) good HDMI cable before it would work... bloody HDMI never seems to quite do what you expect it to do.

^^ did you answer this?

Unless you turn it off on devices trying to turn themselves on (like Foxtel/PVR's that wake up for updates or tv guide info) you can get these random turn ons.

8. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

So I finally got this licked the other day.

Had to replug everything so chain now goes: FOXTEL > TV > AVR (ARC HDMI port)

Turned on CEC in the Foxtel box and I had to set the EDID(?) setting on the TV to 1.4k which fixed the black screen issue I was getting. I turned everything on in the AVR settings, and changed standby sync to "On":

Now the only time it randomly turns on is when my son fiddles with the AVR dials :rolleyes:

9. Renza

Renza Member

You probably wont get 5.1 from Foxtel unless your TV and Receiver both do eARC. not sure if foxtel broadcasts 5.1 though

10. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

...and sometimes you are quickly reminded that you forgot to make sure the volume was turned down before powering the unit up. :)

11. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

It does, but not all broadcasts.

12. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

All good, only have bookshelves atm. And the TV passes RAW audio over ARC so it should be fine?

13. Renza

Renza Member

It'll pass DTS or AC3/DD or stereo PCM I believe, anything more than that you won't get (basically sends the SPDIF signal)