Recipe request: Pork belly with a tasty sauce

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Gunna, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Vietnamese friend of mine makes this damn awesome pork belly dish that I can not recreate. He showed me once when I was drunk and promptly forgot how to do it.

Pork belly is cooked and the fat rendered slighly but the skin remains soft and isnt chewy as I thought it would be.

Now the dish is cooked in a crock pot directly on the stove with oyster sauce, fish sauce and sweet soy and a couple of other ingredients that I have now forgotten but for the life of me I cannot work out the correct combinations and usually end up with a dark sticky mess that tastes sickly or burnt. Tried the dish about 4 times and I seem to be getting worse. usually i'm ok with attempting to recreate a dish and will get close but this has me stumped, anyone know the dish I may be referring to.....

I've asked my friend but he isnt one for measurements and usually says he goes by colour etc and he now lives in Melbourne

2. connico

connico Member

3. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

4. connico

connico Member

Thit Kho is a very traditional Vietnamese dish but there are a lot of ways to make it. Some recipes use sugar to get the caramelised effect.

We serve it at home with pickled been sprouts / carrots / radish etc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

mmmm pork belly.. :Pirate:

6. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Made this tonight.....whoa,it is salty. It's ok in small doses but gets a little overpowering towards the end, i even added a tablespoon of sugar and it got to much

Might try sweetened soy next time and oyster sauce instead of light and dark soy

7. Alby

Alby Member

8. connico

connico Member

yeah I use like almost half amounts of light and dark soy. Use more caramel and coconut juice, this will produce a sweeter pork instead of salty.

The reason why viets like it salty is because they don't eat much of it, they eat it with rice and some kind of vinegared vegetables (carrot, daikon and bean sprout)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Someone wrote up the recipe for it here awhile back :thumbup:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=864824

As connico said it's meant to be salty, if we're talking ratio i'd say 3:1 or even 4:1. Typical meal would consist of rice and 2-3 other things to balance tastes out.