1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recipes to cook on a Date!

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Benmc, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Benmc

Benmc Member

Hi all,

My girlfriends Birthday is coming up this Friday and I have a grand idea. Basically I'm going to set up a nice little rug under the stars and then have these fair lights strung across a tree.

I plan on cooking her a dinner under the stars and I am hoping it could be a three course meal but due to time limits and the fact that I will be using a little portable stove, I need most of the food preprepared and then just reheated on a pan and plated up.

And due to the fact I will be cooking in a park, I will really only have 1 fry pan to use.

Is this a good or bad idea...thoughts?

I need recipes as well btw...

Any ideas for a entree that can be prepared the night before and then reheated on the night?

Thanks!

2. lithos

lithos Member

Doesn't have to be a *hot* entree: a salad's good.

3. scon

scon Member

You could do japanese? Something like:

Sushi (pre-prepared or even bought.)

Yakitori and a soba noodle salad.

Green tea ice-cream.

4. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

I would suggest only cooking one course, as you want to be spending time with her rather than the stove. Try something like:

Entree:
    Cold seafood plate - Smoked salmon, prawns, ceviche etc. Can plate and glad wrap.
    Salads - Caprese (tomato and mozzerella), japanese seaweed salad/sashimi etc
    OR do a simple antipasto plate. Salami, cheese, olives, pickles

Main:
    Minute steaks. Cooks quick from raw. Do up a nice diane or mushroom sauce and serve with veggies or salad.
    Garlic prawns and some crusty bread
    grilled fish on some pest pasta etc

Dessert:
    Think something you can make the night before and you just need to serve. Chocolate mousse, creme brulee (just bring sugar and blow torch), panacotta etc.

5. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Easily able to be done and it's something that can be fun and different tbh, just marinate most of your stuff before hand and take it in tupperware containers.

Don't limit yourself to a frying pan though, if you have a little oven tray or something, nothing stopping you having a little BBQ.

6. aXis

aXis Member

How about Korean BBQ style? You can get domed grill tops for those portable stoves, they work a treat and I've done it inside for dinner many times.

Prepare some rice and various steamed veggies in advance, then marinate some finely sliced beef and/or chicken and keep in a container. Each of you can then put a few strips of meat on at a time and eat as you cook. It's great fun and helps the meal last ages.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Hate to put a downer on your idea, but you need to consider any fire restrictions and bylaws for the park. If there's a total fire ban (which is not unlikely depending on your location), you can't do it. There may also be regulations that you can only cook on provided bbq facilities.

I'd take it along and not cook. You can take hot food in an insulated cover, or just do cold, quiche and salad or something, antipasto... muffaletta, or a shooter's sandwich....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Hmmm... no mention of the GF's preferences in food, which might sway your menu decisions quite a bit. :)

Based on Broc's comment above re. possible fire restrictions or local laws preventing you from using a primus stove, the fact that you'll be limited on time, and the fact that you'd only have one pan to use, I'd forget the hot meal idea.
    It's already Thursday, so unless you're a very confident chef you probably don't want to be trying out new recipes and/or ingredients that you're unfamiliar with, right before showtime... could turn the whole awesome idea into a disaster.

Honestly, a top notch "picnic under the stars" will be just as impressive when you bring out and uncover the awesome antipasto/dip plate for entree, then the seafood/sushi platter and salad for main course, then the fruit and cheese plate for dessert (with a thermos full of coffee that you brewed just before leaving the house). Adjust the contents and arrangement of each platter to suit your GF's tastes, pair each course with a suitable wine and it's pretty hard to screw up, but all the effort that you've gone to will still be very apparent. If you're pressed for time and you can afford it, you could even find a catering company, cafe or similar food service outlet to do the bulk of the work for you, pick up tomorrow afternoon then put the finishing touches to it just before you go out in the evening.

You'll have more time to share the meal and enjoy each other's company (which is really what shared food like antipasto platters etc. are made for!), you won't fall foul of any over-eager park rangers, and you'll end up just as full and satisfied as if you had eaten a full three-course hot meal. You can also control how much you eat a lot better, because you probably don't want to feel over-full and bloated during any "shared activities" later in the evening. ;)

Any leftovers can also be easily transported home with a minimum of fuss and eaten for brunch/lunch the next day.

Let us know how you go mate... expecting Mad Win and a very pleased GF.
    GO GO GO! :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  9. kerr34

kerr34 Member

steamboat or fondue would be very easy!! and you can be with your girlfriend while the food is cooking

10. pogue_mahone

pogue_mahone Member

11. romanx

romanx Member

The missus is going to appreciate the effort regardless of what you do, but a lot of what's been suggested sounds like a lot of work for the location you'll be in, and you'll want to avoid disasters. A few people have mentioned platters, and that's probably a good way to go.

Last thing you want is the portable stove getting knocked over and your missus in the burns unit at the closest hospital.

Try an antipasto platter, or something with her fav foods on it. If you remember what she likes and lands it on there you're winning. Fruit/cheese platter afterwards will go well, get yourself some seasonal fruit. Do it all yourself too.

Knowing what she likes will trump putting down anything awesome any day of the week.

Good luck!

12. Betzie

Betzie Member

My suggestions..

Entree:

Gladiators Platter

Sliced cold meats, sliced fruit, Cheese, nuts, olives, stuffed bell peppers etc etc

Main

Shabu Shabu

Boil a pot of water, swish around a selection of meats and enjoy with dipping sauces, and finish the main by adding noodles and veggies to the water/broth at the end for a nice soup.

Desert

Mini meringues (get good ones) with fresh cream and forest berries. (don't forget a dusting of icing sugar to get the berries to sweat out some juices)

The launch yourself at the missus, her body will be ready ;)

13. KrisT

KrisT Member

Salmon with mango chilli salsa. Google the recipe. Its fucking amazing, damn easy, and means you only need to cook a piece of salmon. I have used this a few times hah.

14. pogue_mahone

pogue_mahone Member

So OP, how did it go? what did you cook?

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, what did you end up doing?

16. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Yes, don't keep us in suspense!

17. OP
    OP
    Benmc

Benmc Member

Hahahaha thanks for all the suggestions guys.

So what I ended up doing was preparing the food at home about two hours before hand and then took it to the park and made her catch a taxi to the pinic spot. I did end up doing three course although the slice of cake was bought from lindt.

For the entree I cooked Salmon Soba Salad. This was served cold which made my life easy.

[​IMG]

The main was Chicken and Chorizo Paella which was cooked beforehand at home and then I covered it in foil and took it to the park. Whilst it kept hot for a lengthy amount of time, I did end up reheating it using one of those portable butane gas stoves and that did the trick.

[​IMG]

All up the pinic worked well minus the fact i made her wait like 30 minutes whilst i finished cooking and that it started raining after the entree haha.

Thanks guys

18. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Good to hear that your date went well :thumbup: Too bad about the rain!

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh, wow, nice job. That looks delicious. :thumbup: