Reclaiming Gold from RAM modules

Discussion in 'Science' started by DeejW, Jun 9, 2018.

1. DeejW

DeejW Member

Anyone here done it? I have read up a bit about it but have conflicting guides, some basically needing an industrial workshop to do it and others with mostly household chemicals and a few buckets. I have some serious boxes of DDR1 and DDR2 I would love to turn into GOLD.

2. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

From what I have read you need a LOT of it to make it worthwhile. You would probably get better returns selling the ram on eBay. Even $1 per stick will probably get you more than the value of the gold. Now that retro computing is taking off, that ram will probably be worth something soon.

3. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Though I'm not a fan of scrapping, it's quite an interesting process. Watched a Youtube video of a scrapper processing gold from about 30 CPUs to yield something like 7g, or $250 worth of gold in his backyard in India. That yield was also bumped up by at least 2 Pentium Pro CPUs which yield about 1g each. RAM would give an even worse yield, something like 1g per kg (which is about 50+ sticks?) The process required about 4-5 different acids/liquids, a gas mask and gloves, and a crucible to convert gold dust to solid, so cost-wise it's prohibitive, there's noxious fumes, you will have to dispose of the waste safely, and also have a buyer for the gold (if you're doing it for economic reasons). Cheaper and safer to sell it on eBay, or even just give it away!

4. OP
    OP
    DeejW

DeejW Member

Fair enough, interesting points raised. I have about 20kg of ram. I am guessing this info is way out of whack which is what got me excited [​IMG]

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It's a waste of time even with 20kg of RAM, you need commercial quantity (i.e. amount e-recyclers/e-waste gets) before its worthwhile getting it scrapped for gold. Test the sticks if not possible sell as lots of bulk on ebay and you'd make more money.

6. Bourke

Bourke Member

So, I watched the yootoob of it, back from 2015 and 3.7mil views later.

I made WTF faces the whole way through....500gms of fingers generated 1gm of "99.9" gold slug.
    Quick maths, the fingers make up 10% (if that ) of total weight of modules, 20kg becomes 2kg of fingers, with potential for a 4gm yield.....viable if your time is worthless and you have a stash of chemicals already.

That dude....faaaaaaaarrrrrrrrkkkkkk.
    How pro is he if he got no magnetic stirrer and as a "crucible" uses a ceramic evapouration bowl and a blow torch = GHETTO

3 options.

1) Buy a DIY crucible kit, stoke it up to 1200'c, batch out 5kg lots and smelt it all down over 3-4hr while adding Pot-ash and have a Chlorine gas injection nozzle adding gas every 30mins, ladle off anything sitting on top, throw into a water bucket, all the plastic burns off, the chlorides you took off should help reduce base metals going into the dore, pour out in a ingot mold, that's mixed metal product only, prob 75% Au total weight.

2) Call these guys, (+61 8) 9479 9999 explain your idea, they will either laugh or say alright and take 15% refining fee and can cash you out on the spot.

3) What has been said, find working pairs and sell it to nerds on Ebay, prob make 3 times the Au recovered.

7. magius

magius Member

Wow. I had heard about recycle some of the rare earth metals in electronics, never did I realise there was gold in there too. Going to have to go and look up the video now.