Recommend a Monitoring System

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Ravennoir, May 16, 2018.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

We are looking at replacing our current monitoring system (Nimsoft) with something else and im looking for some suggestions

I have used SCOM before, but im wondering what else is out there

Our environment is a mix of Windows, Linux, Vmware and some cloud (AWS and Azure)

Im sure the management would love to have some sort of single pane dashboard, I would like some sort of automation available (for adjusting monitoring and setups) and decent reporting

What is everyone using, and what do you like\dislike about it ?

Thanks

2. scrantic

scrantic Member

Nagios/Cacti, PTRG, Solarwinds would be a starting point to investigate. All have their pro's and cons and cost implications.

3. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Another year, another monitoring system thread.

My needs for a monitoring system may not meet your needs so there's no point talking about what I prefer or dislike about the tools i use as you haven't listed any requirements about what needs to be monitored, let start with connection up/doen, do you need to the second monitoring for down and to the second for resumption?

4. greebs

greebs Member

Veeam is good for VMware monitoring. But agree with Doc-of-FC - what are your requirements.

5. Jimoin

Jimoin Member

Being forced to give Zabbix a go, hope it's worth the effort, will update when I can.

6. Skitza

Skitza Member

Grafana is pretty good if you have the want/time to config it. I've got Nagios going but I don't really like it, it's good in ways but snmp is not as simple as Solarwinds if you've used that.

7. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

So Ive managed to get the management to give me more ideas on their requirements

So they would like monitoring for :
    Windows and Linux Server (CPU, RAM, HDD, Network)
    Storage (SAN\NAS)
    Cloud
    ESX
    Some applications would be nice to have

Our current short list is
    SCOM
    Azure OMS
    Solarwinds
    PRTG

I have used SCOM before, and know its good, once you have the time to set it up
    Azure OMS seems a little immature at the moment, but we might pair it with SCOM
    Im testing PRTG at the moment and will test Solarwinds next

We have about 300 Servers (Win and Linux) and it seems most of a "per monitor" cost, so it can add up fast

We are licensed for SCOM already, so it might be we go with that unless I can convince them the other products do more for the money

8. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

I've heard really really good feedback regarding Kaseya. Yes, it's an MSP tool, but it does do what you want, and it appears to be pretty good.

9. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

I had a decent Zabbix setup at my last school, seemed to cover off pretty well anything that we needed to monitor from Windows servers to our networking gear using SNMP
    Coupled with the Grafana dashboard system it did a rather decent job, better than Libre that's for sure

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

All the tools listed do the job, however all monitoring systems require continual modification to be effective, there is no set and forget solution.

personal preference - nagios

11. power

power Member

12. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah, I know they all need to be tended to. Ideally I would like something I can try and automate some of those tasks

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://exchange.nagios.org/
    Have a look here to see if any of your requirements haven't been meet. :)

14. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Nagios for a data collection method and initial alarming as a starting point, but then I'd be looking at feeding that data into something else as well. I would then feed all of your log data, perf metrics and monitoring data into something like the Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana (ELK) stack and start doing more with it, e.g. service health and data presentation.

15. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

We have Splunk which is being underused so it would probably go there

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.graylog.org/

I like ELK, but most sysadmins aren't programmers, so greylog takes some of the pain away for them.

17. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I wouldn't exactly call scripting programming.

Besides, if you aren't willing to learn at least one scripting language in this day and age, then you're well on the path to being irrelevant. Once you learn one, quite a few are pretty similar in terms of logic and structure.

18. Daemon

Daemon Member

ELK is a mongrel stack, so definitely a special case. It's absolutely brilliant when running, but in the cases when you're having to deal with shitty JVM heap crashes, the ugly combo of Java + Ruby for Logstash then having a smoother system like graylog is highly recommended.

19. crmatthews

crmatthews Member

We use Manage Engine for web monitoring, seems pretty good. Veeam monitoring is good for hardware. Or Nagios or SCOM

20. tensop

tensop Member

this sounds like a perfect fit for nagios. but to shorten the learning curve massively - use the OMD distribution, check_mk for the dashboard, and nconf to generate the configs for you