Recommend me a micro that comes in a case with premoulded buttons/dials.

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Foliage, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Foliage

Foliage Member

I'm building a temperature controller for my BBQ.

I've found an old idle air control valve from a vehicle that has similar gas flow rates and a 0-12v servo motor on it which I am going to use to control the flow. This will be for the proof of concept, I'll look into more precise control when I see how the valve performs. I will use a PID controller and some tuning software I have to model the bbq and tune it correctly. I've modeled and tuned low temperature separators and other control stuff so this should be a piece of cake to tune and model. I will have 4 sets of tuning constants, eg lid open, lid closed, half the burners on, all the burners on.

Now the question is can someone recommend me a platform that has some good off the shelf hardware with the following all built in.

Basic 2 line or better LCD screen
    Comes in a case
    Buttons and dials already moulded into the case
    D/A converter to control stepper motor
    A/D for dials or a digital dial that uses simple digital IO
    A/D for a thermocouple.

AVR/PIC/Raspberry Pi etc are all fine as I don't need much performance. Anything more than a few Mhz should be fine to run a single PID controller.

I already have a 12v supply for it.

Anyone recommend anything off the shelf that comes with some dials/buttons already moulded into the case?

edit: Even recommend some good websites that have a list of various kits.

edit2: might be even easier to just get a raspberry pi with wifi and control it all from my phone. I'll see if I can find any kits that already come with a thermocouple.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. OP
    OP
    Foliage

Foliage Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  3. oculi

oculi Member

this has arduino written all over it.

"D/A converter to control stepper motor"

from earlier in your post I guess you mean servo motor, steppers require many digital signals and need H bridges if they are bipolar.

a (RC/Hobby) servo motor is always powered, you send it a PWM/voltage position signal and it moves to the position corresponding to that signal.

I studied DSP a long time ago but I think you should be able to do PID in software using an arduino pretty easily.

No idea what has this stuff in one package, but that's my thoughts on the guts.

4. OP
    OP
    Foliage

Foliage Member

Yeah sorry servo is what I meant. Plenty of c pid libraries I can use with auduino, just need a nice kit with lid, buttons and headers for a thermocouple board.