Recommend me a RAID Card

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by DarkAvernus, Mar 30, 2018.

1. DarkAvernus

DarkAvernus Member

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Norco 4220 and am in the process of setting up ubuntu linux on it and getting things running.
    For context I have set up the bottom row of drives (4 total) to be 8TB archive drives addressed individually using reverse breakout cables. These are connected directly to the mainboard.

Now i don't know much about the hardware side of RAID setups, and trying to read through the jargon of some of the foums ive visited has been very unsuccessful in trying to teach myself.

Regardless looking for a couple of things to service 16x 4TB WD RED drives.
    • Take advantage of RAID 6 for dual drive redundancy
    • use the full capability of the sata transfer speed of the drives.
    From what i can read i need a raid card with 4x mini SAS connectors to connect to the backplanes similar to the below.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151139&ignorebbr=1

Can anyone recommend me a RAID card that will support the 4 RU size of the case and meet this need and / or give me a little more information by pointing me in the right direction on materials to read.

Thanks!!!

2. davros123

davros123 Member

Have you considered software raid or are you set on hardware?

3. ae00711

ae00711 Member

why not zfs on linux?

4. Copie

Copie Member

Unless you want the raw speed, go with a free software solution like unraid etc.

ShaneHm2 likes this.
  5. davros123

davros123 Member

I am not sure that is true anymore...software raid can compete with hardware raid

6. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I believe I can help you with that and I suggest you bookmark that page for future reference. If your just going to run 16 drives then how many PCIe slots do you have available as most cards can run using only x8 lanes so two cards that have two min-SAS connectors on them would be cheaper (e.g. $100 each) and easier to source than a rarer and more expensive single card that has four min-SAS connectors on them.

7. Copie

Copie Member

Yes and no, really depends on the software solution and what cpu/memory you are running.

8. OP
    OP
    DarkAvernus

DarkAvernus Member

Good advice, and something i didnt think of.

Happy to software raid though honestly so just in thinking ive realised my old board does have a windows 10 pro licence on it.

For the ease of use I'm considering just using this in place of linux and taking advantage of RDP.

With this i could software raid the drives using cheaper cards as you mentioned for a very similar result.

Anyone see any issues with doing this ?

9. OP
    OP
    DarkAvernus

DarkAvernus Member

i5 3570k & 8gb ram 1600 Mhz

10. Excess

Excess Member

CPU shouldn't be the bottleneck most cases unless your encrypting your drives. I am using 10x4TB w/ 2-parity, Areca 1260 JBOD running Snapraid+Mergerfs on an AMD Sempron and cpu still only stays at 50%~ load while syncing parity.

Are you set on RAID6? If you choose a software solution you can scale your x-parity as your array increases, I find the file path preserving feature quite useful as you know exactly which drive your data is and lets you;

-add additional backup or encryption for specific datasets
    -only spins up single drive for frequently accessed data
    -place frequently accessed data on faster/more reliable drives

Trade of is the performance you get from striping which you lose due to on the fly parity calculation but gain data redundancy.

+ 1

And doesn't lock you to a platform/manufacturer, much easier for recovery process if anything goes wrong.

11. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

After reading your OP, I was with the second reply, ZFS but since seeing this post and looking at your level of understanding (no offence, just don't feel you are up to complex setups yet), Run your Windows 10 Pro, setup RDP access and then strip the farken junk out with CCleaner. Plenty of guides out now to strip Win 10 bloat and stop auto-farken-updating.
    From here, Storage Spaces will do what you want and with a couple of simple PowerShell commands (UPS should be used on the server), reasonable Write speeds to the array's are possible, especially as this sounds like a media server.

12. chip

chip Member

Even then, if the software supports the op's CPU AES hardware acceleration then the CPU should easily be able to encrypt at >500Mbytes/sec.

Softraid all the things.

13. Copie

Copie Member

I agree. Though i would highly recommend considering moving to a platform with ECC ram (e3 xeon)

14. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

LOL, don't get me started on the hardware side....
    I have more servers sitting here than I know what to do with including 5x SM 836 chassis's (16 drives each) with 4 of them complete with running guts.

15. davros123

davros123 Member

Stop hoarding and share with the rest of us :)

A mate of mine could do with something with a decent backplane. His Norco has been nothing but trouble. Dropping drives like trump drops advisers. Techbuy have been champions though and have agreed to replace all the backplanes. Still... if you have a spare :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  16. Copie

Copie Member

Feel free to flick them my way.
    You can get 48 drive chenbro toploaders for a decent price out of the states (about 800aud delivered) they are decent enough, if you can live with the noise from the PSUs