Recommend me a small PA System

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Anakist, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Anakist

Anakist Member

I want a small PA.

I have mics and leads so I want to spend up to $1000 on a mixer, two speakers, cables and stands. I am a sound engineer so I want something with decent sound quality.

It will mainly be used for vocal presentations and background music at Rotary club events, playing music louder than my stereo goes at home or at parties, and hooking up to a projector for watching cricket in the back yard so I don't need a sub.

Thanks.

James

2. BigandY

BigandY Member

2x 12" (or 10's for budget reasons) active molded bins, cheap 6-12 channel mixer, cheap cables, cheap stands.

Can do it for a grand but better to stretch your budget a bit ($1500) and get something like these:

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/...V2&pageMode=indiv&productID=204049&storepid=1

Be aware though, if you're trying to go without a sub, 10's will really be a compromise.

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/...ore_search_type=&hidden_type=&hidden_type_id=

http://www.shiremusic.com.au/site/i...roducts&product_id=200035&category_code=10025

Can vouch for this gear

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  3. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

If you want something of any quality like you say you do, you're going to have to double your budget. JBL PRX612m or QSC K10's would be my pick of active speakers with a A&H ZED10 mixer and cheap cables. Looking around $2200 all up - buy once cry once.

4. BigandY

BigandY Member

K10's yes, JBL not so much. ZED10FX is good but WAY overkill for rotary events and parties at home.

5. OP
    OP
    Anakist

Anakist Member

Hmmm. A friend has this for $1500.
    I am better off getting that and being able to do some basic live gigs as well if I am going bigger with the budget. The K12 are ~$1100 per box!

Am I on the right track with that plan? I have never heard of Alto. Behringer will be fine for a sub I hardly ever use, and soundcraft is soundcraft. I could get an Allen & Heath ZED 420 with it, but that would push up the cost again.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

James

6. BigandY

BigandY Member

alto & behringer are shit. avoid them. you're seriously better off spending the same amount and getting 2x 12" entry HK/HH/QSC powered bins than crap like alto & behringer 2.1.

it's just not built for long term. don't be surprised if 1/3 pieces are DOA, and be even less surprised if 1/3 shit themselves within 12 months.

concise advise: spend 15%-20% of your budget on a basic mixer, and the rest on 2x good quality 12" powered speakers. You don't need top notch cables either.

e.g. THIS is more than you need based on your OP.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012