1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a smart tv

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Azer1234, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Hey all. Figured this thread is suitable for this forum?

Time for a new tv. Can i get some opinions/links to some good deals?

Been using the 55 inch LG uj654t. No major complaints except the ui is a bit laggy and the tv guide is crap

https://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-55UJ654T-uhd-4k-tv

Not up to scratch on oled, uhd, qled etc. Wouldnt mind going slightly bigger like 65 inch if it doesnt sacrifice quality too much. Wont be used for gaming, just tv and netflix etc.

Good sound is important as i stream music a fair bit

Budget $1000 preferred but will go up to $2000 if worth it

Cheers!

2. Zee

Zee Member

If you want a slick and fast UI - get an Apple TV or a Shield.

Only the highest end TV's have processors sort of OK enough to be semi smooth...

On a side note, I like Sony for Smart TV, because Android.

Sound - buy a sound bar. I like the Sonos Beam, personally, but plenty out there, and I sold a JBL sound bar/sub combo second hand for about $60 a few months back.

Z...

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Honestly, if you're happy with the panel itself and just hate the OS, consider a Chromecast Ultra.

Won't help you with the TV bit, but they're so much better than most in built OSes (or more realistically, the CPU on them sucks less).

[edit] Zee beat me. Yeah, or a Shield.

4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Cracking price on this Sammy here;

https://www.powerland.com.au/samsung-65-series-7-q70t-qled-uhd-4k-tv-qa65q70tawxxy

TV speakers are small now due to the ultra thin panels, so better off with a decent soundbar, stereo floorstanders or a proper surround system.

Don't buy a TV based on it's "smart" platform... none of them are not smart at all. Best to focus on picture quality and use an external device for streaming, apps etc.

JSmith

Zee likes this.
  5. PLooB

PLooB Member

55" OLED from LG model OLED55C9PTA

Hands down best 55" you can get for $2k.

walker_2003 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Cool cheers for the info!

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Sure, but OP mentioned he wanted to upgrade to a 65"... which will be $2.6K on special for LG OLED and up to $3.4K, OP said $1000 - $2000 max.

There is also a 65" at Aldi for $529, but I'd not be recommending that as a primary display. ;)

JSmith

8. spit051261

spit051261 Member

A nice Samsung .
    Can't go wrong.
    Not cheap but if you like watching TV, worth it .

9. flain

flain Member

This is probably the best for your price range https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sony-x8000g-65-4k-uhd-android-led-tv

Sony android 4K LED TV with a decent processor in it. OLEDS generally add another $2-3k on top.

10. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Just helped a friend upgrade her garbage old 32" 12 year old crapbox to a nice 50" Hisense 50RG. RG model has 'full' Android on it so plays basically all Android TV apps, GUI seems snappy to me and I'm a speed nerd (I run a Shield at home).

Really very impressed with it. Picture quality is between the Hisense 6 and 7 series and of late I've been really impressed with the picture quality in the Hisense units, especially at the cheaper end of the scale.

65" model is only $1095 right now at JB or Good Guys. Spend the extra on decent sound setup.

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

12. flain

flain Member

Usually the sonys have decent latency figures too, if the OP isn't a gamer that won't matter but still usefull to know :). Also a bunch of Sony 4K sets got firmware upgrades to support 1080p 120fps some ~6months ago. In 1080p 120fps mode their latency goes down to around 10ms which is crazy low for a TV, both xbox one and ps4 support 1080p 120hz mode today.

If you want to use a gaming console, forget hisense.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/forums/audio-visual.11/

Id reccomend Sony/Samsung/LG.

As much as Hisense can be epic bang for buck the OS sucks and they abandon it after a year. I moved all my TV's to samsungs and the OS rocks.. I get instant support for all the big apps and it just works lovely.

I run Plex, Netflix, Stan, Amazon Prime, Kayo, Disney+ & more.

Id almost buy TCL over Hisense, avoid FFalcon like the plague. American TCL's r much better then the budget stuff we get.

Good site for reviews: www.rtings.com

Best bang for buck Samsung is 2019 Q60, the 2019 4K panels are better then 2020. (Samsung moving all the best features to silly 8K range)

This is a good buy, might get better price as 2020 roll out further though.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/samsung-series-6-q60-65-4k-uhd-qled-tv

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled

14. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I'd just clarify that I very specifically recommended the RG model Hisense. Which has full Android TV inbuilt, not their standard app store. Hence the GUI is quite good, and none of thise 'abandoning after a year' thing. Haven't game on one yet to test that out.

Sony does seem like a pretty good buy, so it's that's a got a good recommendation (above)... also a great option.

TRG.dOinK and walker_2003 like this.
  15. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Lol no.

I've got a $6000, 8000 series and it's the biggest heap of junk.
    Once you buy it they start neglecting it which is very much samsungs DNA sadly. Hardly any smart features work anymore.
    Cant even watch YouTube ffs.
    It decides whether or not it wants to play through my Aventage DVR.

They will keep promising updates when you contact support - no updates, just less functionality.

Updated it with several evo boxes, made it even worse.
    The bluetooth keyboard that came with it has never worked from day 1.
    Keeps dropping wifi.

It's more a case of what hasn't gone wrong.
    Only thing in their favour is they send a tech 300km to my house to repair it. Dont expect that with anything less than their top model though.

Good panel. I spent my life as a technical director at 9. I know what I'm looking at, but there is a lot more to modern TV's than that.
    No modern panel is flawless.

Never again...

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

t
    What model you got? KS8000? If so thats mid/high range and 4 years old.. Panel wise puts a lot of 2020 TV's to shame 1400 nits peak brightness :eek:

I guess you havent used a Hisense then.. pretty sure Hisense 2017 (maybe even 2018/19) panel owners are still begging for Kayo & Disney+ and only way to get firmware is via contacting them for a manual download..

A 2016 Samsung will get those apps no dramas. Possible even 2015's

LG def has the best OS though.

No neglect from my 2019 panel, Disney+ installed itself.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  17. elvis

Ugh all these brand arguments are boring. Objective data wins, and you can choose weighting of which attribute you care about by your own subjective requirements:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah but what rtings cant tell you is how the firmware/compatibility is in 2 year times. I use them for everything else though!

elvis likes this.
  19. elvis

rtings do frequently revisit old models and tell you how those companies are going with firmware/OS updates. But that's looking backwards, not forwards. Nobody's got a crystal ball, so it's always a guess as to what any device's future will hold.

It is certainly a huge downside of "smart" anything that we're going through the whole "designed obsolescence" problem all over again. And speaking as a huge fan of open source, I'm perpetually annoyed that I can't put whatever software I want on hardware I own, despite manufacturers abandoning hardware 12 months later and only putting new tools on new hardware. Goes for phones and tablets too.

I hope we'll see the open source revolution expand past PCs and make it to devices like these one day. But for now, we're at the mercy of shitty vendors who just don't care.

Until then, I'm still buying Raspberry Pis and similar devices to fill the hole. Yes, it's an extra expense. But at least I'm in control of those.

walker_2003 likes this.
  20. Sledge

Sledge Member

Never thought i would see you recommend this....
    slightly better than TV sound yes, but way down the list for me..