1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend me an 85" TV

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by lonewolf1983, Jul 18, 2021.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Aldi tv's are a classic case of you get what you pay for. I don't rate the Bauhn that highly. But if you want a very large screen tv at pretty good prices with a 1 year warranty, for a study or for the kids etc etc, then Aldi is your place.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    JSmithDTV likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah i looked at some of their reviews, and the QN85A ranked pretty well for my usage.
    The US vs AU models are still confusing!

151528 likes this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

With Samsung it's UA/QA for Asia-Pacific etc. so just change the 2nd letter to A;

[​IMG]

Sony;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JSmith

CrazyDez likes this.
  4. birdie10101

birdie10101 Member

I have an experience that may relate to why whatdoesthisdo said not to buy Samsung...

Last year I bought the 85 inch Q80T. Was thrilled to bits. Found it really good in almost every scenario. About a month or so ago my 9 year old threw something into it and damaged the screen beyond repair. Went through insurance and got the 85" QN85A as a repalcement as they had replaced the Q80T. I don't like this tv and I am kicking myself for it. Motion settings on this one are not as good as the predecessor. Its hard to describe but watching AFL on either FTA or Kayo produces mixed results. There can be motion blur around legs on some settings and the ball can go missing mid-air on other settings. I have had to settle on a compromise of settings that just doesn't look as good as the Q80T did.

VA/IPS/ADS panels is all stuff I don't really comprehend. But I can tell you 100% that this years model has a worse pic quality than last years'.

I was flat out at work when the Q80T was damaged and didn't really investigate this years' models when I was offered the replacement. That failure haunts me every time I watch the TV. I've even raised the idea of selling it with my wife. I bugs me that much.

My experience only, others may have a different opinion.

Cheers,
    Luke

5. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

LG all the way.:p

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

ALDI TVs are absolute garbage; even IF they had an OK-ish quality panel the electronics (image processing engines etc) are the worst of the worst. Even the lowest end Hisense would kick its arse into 2010.

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeh I held off on that 82". I'm not fussy on TV's as I used to be not since the old Panasonic Viera days and the last time I sat down and watched TV was almost 15 years ago. But I do still need a tv as a mantle piece or have it on when I have some people over for a booze and coke fuelled weekend.

Prangitt likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well in this case then for speedsters like this I'd definitely recommend a big ALDI disposable screen just in case someone throws a bottle and hits the TV you don't want your exxxy LG oled going down. Horses for courses :leet:

9. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

For OLED yes, not LED LCD... Sammy and Sony are king there.

JSmith

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Depends on which model Samsung, not all the models are great.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Correct, like all brands (inc Sony) there are their budget options, mid tier options and premium options. Generally their mid to premium models are well performing and all use VA panels. LG has always been terrible for LED LCD.

JSmith

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I've had two mid- high end samsung TV's. Both Shit themselves in no time, (one just very recently) and their current Warranty is a pathetic joke (12 mths) .

Never again for me.

13. nico6

nico6 Member

Surely Australian Consumer Law will help you with latest failure?!

14. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

and this is why for me too. 1.5 months in my case.

I will never buy from good guys either, they were limp wristed dickheads.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Correct, these wanna be rip off companies know they need warranties longer than their miserable 1 year warranty offered. It's simply done just to scare some people off claiming warranty when it's outside 1 year. I mean 1 year warranty on a tv that you paid thousands for!?? Give me a break, it's just ridiculous. I had absolutely no hessitation claiming warranty 3 months past 1 year for an LG oled that I paid around $4,000 for, for a vertical line down the screen. And they had absolutely no issue honoring it.

16. AmB

AmB Member

has anyone gone for these EKO 85" that BigW are flogging off for $1300?

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Nah I haven't... might be an ok cheapie;

https://www.gadgetguy.com.au/lg-licenses-webos-to-eko-tvs-sold-out-in-days/
    QC may be lacking I gather;

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/eko-smart-uhd-led-tv

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/eko-4k-ultra-hd-android-tv

JSmith

18. AmB

AmB Member

19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah I know but being "new" there are only 2 reviews, so I though the reviews of their previous models may be more helpful.

TBH they're just cheap re-badged basic TV's that look like all the others on Alibaba, similar to Aldi/Bauhn.

JSmith

20. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

couple of weeks in with the samsung and happy overall.
    Image quality is great, has all the apps I need and integrates nicely with the soundbar system I got (HWQ870A) - Q Symphony is nice to make use of the TV speakers with it.
    Also integrates well with my Samsung mobile

No issues so far with IQ, still yet to play around too much with the picture profiles but adaptive seems to nail based on what we're currently watching.

Only one issue with Stan and subtitles not working but that is likely a stan issue as Netflix etc is fine

Pricing ended up at $3975 (TV) + $995 (Soundbar) - $240 discount - $400 cashback