Recommend me caps for a mobo recapping adventure?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Aetherone, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Rebuilding & resurrecting my first dual-core system - a blast from the past: Asus A8N32-SLI (Socket 939 AMD glory days) :D

The board itself seems to be in good condition, from testing it's had no troubles with an overclocked Opteron 175 and 4x 1GB DIMMs in it.
    The problem is, the PCIe slots don't work. Given the numbers of sad looking caps around the slots, this isn't surprising (one of the caps started smoking in the first test POST!).
    Runs fine with a PCI video card which is how I clocked the CPUs and tested it.
    The caps around the CPU socket are all sealed jobbies, so I'm planning on leaving those alone and just replacing the swarm of KZG's everywhere else.

Current count (rev 1.01 board)
    3x 16v 1000uf (8mm x 20mm) around the CPU aux power socket
    2x 6.3v 1800uf (8mm x 20mm) at the molex EZ_Plug
    24x 6.3v 820uf (8mm x 12mm) all over the board (many vented)
    2x 16v 470uf (8mm x 13mm) under PCIEx4 & PCIE16_2 (x4 right next to a 6.3v 830uf; better not get 'em confused!)
    11x 16v 100uf (5mm x 12mm, which I'm presuming don't need replacing)

Now normally, I just head in Jaycar and ask for "low ESR in whatever spec remotely matches this..." but this system does have some sentimental value, so I'd like to do the job properly.

I've been trawling badcaps.net and assembling a list of what they'd recommend, assuming I'll be ordering from element14 (or similar). I'd love some feedback on suggestions as to what to use in 2019 to recap a 2005 motherboard.

cheers
    Aeth..

2. Esposch

Esposch Member

You in Melbourne? I've got a bunch of caps and a vaccuum-powered desoldering tool begging to be used.

Aetherone likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Esposch: nah, Adelaide. Thanks for the offer though.

Just trawling around e14 this morning (yes it Christmas morning but I live with severe depression and this is much better than googling noose tying).
    Looks like they stock various Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic & others. Reasons to pick between each? Pannys seem quite expensive, but they rate much higher runtimes at temperature. Rubys do too, but they're not all available in the right sizes.
    Nichicons are pretty cheap. Pros? Cons?
    • 3x 16v 1000uf (8mm x 20mm)
    Thinking Rubycon ZLH here
    • 2x 6.3v 1800uf (8mm x 20mm)
    Nichicon HM vs Panny FS? Half the listed ESR vs 4x the hour rating? (Panny is also 2000uf)
    • 24x 6.3v 820uf (8mm x 12mm)
    Rubycons again. ZLH? ZLJ? Anyone know the effective difference?
    • 2x 16v 470uf (8mm x 13mm)
    Lots of options - Panny, Ruby, Nichi, other brands I don't recognise... Just slap in a pair of Ruby ZLHes?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  4. _zak

_zak Member

From what I've read, there's not too much difference between the 'top tier' manufacturers - they all have similarly low early failure rates, which is the main thing. To answer your question about ZLH vs ZLJ, this chart lists the ZLJ as being 'high ripple', meaning they're more tolerant of high ripple currents. Probably not too much of a difference if you've got a good power supply, but if there's no significant price difference, go for the ZLJ.

One thing to check is the US distributors DigiKey and Arrow. They both offer free priority courier over about AU$60, and they're often cheaper than E14. Plus Arrow usually have 10 - 15% coupons most months.

Good luck with the project!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Aetherone likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Thanks _zak :)
    I'm not spending enough for just one motherboard to get free shipping within AU so I suspect US might fall well short of free shipping there. Already starting the mental review of what else I might have that needs attention to get me across that line :D

6. mtma

mtma Member

Arrow has been pushing free shipping no minimum lately. Otherwise RS do free shipping all the time.

7. Esposch

Esposch Member

Heading up to Adel on the 7th of Jan. Shoot me a PM if you want me to bring up the stuff. :)

8. Jazper

Jazper Member

I've always used Panasonic FC or FM when I've wanted to use something nice, cap wise (unless you count ELNA Slimic IIs .. but that's another story)

9. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Oh look, a second set of caps for my MSI 694D-Pro and a set of tips for my iron and I'm up to free shipping from e14. :D
    After much hunting around, they seem to be the only source with a complete set of what I want with brands and models as per Badcaps trusted lists. I don't know enough about other models to randomly substitute. I love the idea of polymodding the board but that may be a step too far for my skillset...

Cheers mate, will let you know. How long you in town for? I've got jobs lined up for that week so spare time is a little sketchy.