Recommendation for a ATX sized case but want 5in drive for DVD

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by lt_matthew, Jan 27, 2021.

1. lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

As the post stated I'm looking for a pc case that has a 5in drive for my DVD drive. I've read the lan li lan cool II is recommended. Ventilation is important due to heatwave but not critical as I prefer quietness.
    Also are memory prices going to go up as I'm looking to get a ssd as well.

2. philquad

philquad Member

https://www.centrecom.com.au/cases-no-psu-included?orderby=10 have a good range & free delivery over 70 smacko's from memory.

3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Consider an external USB DVD drive instead.. how often are you using discs these days, and if you can use an external drive instead, it opens up a lot of options.

macktheknife and boneburner like this.
  4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

CM NR600 w/ODD

5. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Thanks for the replies. Sammy your gonna have to convince me its worth the hassle of paying a extra $30-45 for a external optical drive when I have a perfectly functioning DVD drive already.
    I forgot to add I don't prefer the tempered glass side panel. I'm to worried I'll damage the glass and I don't need to stare at my case internals.
    I've seen recommendation for Fractal Design define 7 but it seems to big and expensive for my purposes. (General PC use no modding or extreme performance.)
    Also what is the situation regarding ssd drive prices at the moment.

6. Azure-Drued

Azure-Drued Member

i recommend the Coolermaster s600 has a metal sound reduction panel option and comes with a cd drive placement in the top... nice metal front door held by magnets can be reversable and the dust filters are a dream to clean.... i have the s400 but same thing really

7. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

On second thought I am open to suggestions for a case without a 5in drive but when you factor in the added cost of getting a external drive I'm not far off the price of a Fractal design 7 from the cases I've checked out. Also all the external DVD drives are usb 2.0 . How much are the usb 3.0 external DVD drives.
    Can I ask Azure for the coolermaster 600 silenico if you fit it with 2 140mm fans can you still use the 5in slot. Also hows the ventilation and noise.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  8. Azure-Drued

Azure-Drued Member

9. Groff

Groff Member

No such thing. DVD drives can't saturate USB 2 let alone USB3.

The Define 7 doesn't have provision for 5.25" bay.

The Fractal R5 and R6 do though.
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/cases/atx/70976-fd-ca-def-r6-bk $220
    Super silent. Very easy to build in.
    Excellent dust filtration.

10. boneburner

boneburner Member

I also second the external drive enclosure idea - mainly because it opens up the case choices, as 5.25" bay slot is now a niche item.

The notion of silent cases has been looked at by gaming jesus over at Gamers Nexus - the main takeaway being that heavy cases with sound dampening materials (like the Fractal R line) quite often are their own worst enemy - and that going light and open with better airflow and thermal performance allows everything to run cooler & hence slower and quieter.

His roundup of the best cases of 2020 touches on this. I have to admit to being fond of the Corsair 400D Airflow Case (the one with the triangular mesh front) White version, around 130 bucks locally. That could be because im still on my white component kick atm :weirdo:

External 5.25" enclosures for blu-ray are hard to find now at a price that makes sense. You would almost be better off buying a new purpose built usb external drive, mainly because most are powered by the usb, rather than an external brick (there are exceptions re: the external brick, but then why bother). Not knowing the capability/age of your particular model however, it's just something to think about & my 2c worth.

11. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Thanks for the comments. I'm actively considering the fractal R5 or R6 as I've read the reviews. (On a side not I think you've made a mistake Groff. The specs sheet for the define 7 lists a 5in bay and I can see the slot in the pictures. The define 7 compact doesn't have a 5in drive.)
    I've seen Gamers nexus videos around but the shear number of videos of people labeling themselves experts made me wonder if it was worth my while checking him out. On your suggestion bone I'll checkout the video.

12. boneburner

boneburner Member

He is one of a handful worth actually paying attention to. Companies now ignore his suggestions at their peril :lol:

If you do go the Fractal route - make sure its new stock and that it has front USB C. Just be aware the sound dampening panels retain heat and the airflow is no longer top of class(if it ever was) - so everything has to run faster/noisier to keep temps down.

13. Groff

Groff Member

Well spotted! Wow $279. That's nuts. I remember not long ago the R5 was $150.

He'd have to be right up there as one of the best around.

For motherboard breakdowns, Actually Hardware Overclocking https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ is excellent.

14. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Boneburner I haven't seen a usb c option for the R6 I'm looking at. If memory serves me its a extra cost option you order from fractal. I'm aware fractal cases aren't the best in terms of heat but I'm willing to trade it for silence, quality, flexibility.
    I knew prices went up but untill your post Groff I didn't realise by high much. If a R5 was on sale for $150 I buy it in a heart beat for that price.
    On a side note can anyone recommend a site that reviews monitors. I like to see how things are progressing on that front.

15. Groff

Groff Member

I think it's called tftcentral. Very good in depth reviews

16. anark1

anark1 Member

My r6 from pccg came with USB C

17. Groff

Groff Member

18. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Thanks for the information Groff but I'm not paying $50 for a usb c port. Budget a bit tight. (If prices wont so crazy I would consider it.)
    After some consideration I would get a Fractal C but I can't find one with a solid panel. I'm a bit iffy about tempered glass as I'm clumsy and I'm worried about damaging it. How tough are they and whats the weight like. Do they affect the heat management.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  19. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

After reading everyone's comments I'm likely to get a case without a 5in drive.(I wish I could edit the header.) I just wanted to ask are all external DVD drives the same or is there a brand I should stick to. I'm assuming the data rate through usb 2.0 isn't too bad. I'm likely to go through Pc casegear or scorptec.

20. Groff

Groff Member

Max data rate for USB 2.0 is 480Mbps.
    Max data rate for a 52x CDRom is ~62Mbps.
    Max data rate for a 16x DVD Rom is ~168Mbps.
    And that's best speed at one end of the disk. The other end is going to be a lot slower.

So you don't need to worry about whether your USB 2.0 connection is going to hold you back.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/optical-&-tape-drives/external-optical-drives

I'd probably just buy the ASUS or the HP. I wouldn't buy the LG as there might be some compatibility issues with it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021