1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for a ATX sized case but want 5in drive for DVD

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by lt_matthew, Jan 27, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Thanks for the information Groff

2. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Abit of thread crapping but why are psu shrouds so popular now. One good of the good things about the fractal R5 beside price was no psu shroud. It just seems to me your reducing the cooling of the GFX card just so you don't have to look at some cables.

3. Groff

Groff Member

Your thread, your rules :Pirate::D

Aesthetics with super clean builds with windowed side panels. They hide a multitude of sins.

In some ways it might actually improve cooling for 2 reasons...
    1. Blocking residual heat from the PSU (though a lot of shrouds have top vents)
    2. The shroud might help channel airflow from the front fans to where it's needed instead of getting lost near the power supply. The narrowing might help speed up airflow thus aiding cooling.

4. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Thanks for replying Groff. With most case allowing you to mount the psu downward so it draws air from underneath residual heat from the psu isn't a problem in my opinion.
    I don't think the trade off for the reduction in space vs the air flow is worth while as a small space is easier to heat than a large one. For cases where you have 3 fans its just blocking/splitting the air. I admit it may make more sense for setup with only 2 fans where you can position the fan to blow underneath the card.
    On a side note do all GFX cards fans draw in air from inside the case and blow it out the rear. As I've encountered the term blower fan.

5. Groff

Groff Member

Very true.

Only the reference blower style.
    Every other gpu just blows most of it around the case. They normally run cooler but if your airflow is not right, the rest of your components can run warmer.

6. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

So Groff does that mean the GFX fan from third party vendors draws air from outside into the case.

7. Groff

Groff Member

No, they both draw air from inside the case.
    The reference blower style sucks air into the GPU casing and blows it out the back of the case through the rear vent.
    The rest blow air from inside the case over open heatsinks which dissipate the heat away from the GPU.
    You also have passive heat sink gpus with no fan (some 1030 I think are like this).

8. Groff

Groff Member

Old but this should explain
    (Only watched silently but he should do it justice)

9. OP
    OP
    lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

Sorry to say Groff the video wasn't that useful (linus just talked about testing a custom vs reference card) but it did lead to a link to the youtuber jaytwocents who explained the difference.
    I did check out the linus video where they ran a computer for a year. Makes me want to put a fan on the bottom of the case but the shroud prevents that.