Recommendation for a Receiver 4k

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by DVDHack, Sep 6, 2019.

1. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I’m looking for a recommendation for a home theatre receiver (tuner isn’t really required) that does 4K. I’m looking for something that sounds good for music, the surround sound requirement is nice but I listen to much more music than I watch movies.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V683 and I’m not real happy with how it sounds.

2. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Marantz SR5013 street price about $1500 with a haggle
    or if big budget then go up to Anthem MRX720 (might get it down to about $3300).

I can do sharp pricing on both of these just PM me.

3. OP
    OP
    DVDHack

DVDHack Member

How does the MRX520 compare, I’ll never use the 7 channels in here anyway and I dont need the extra power. Are they the same in every other way? I can’t find a review on the 5 channel.

Never mind found some info.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

You always need the extra power :p Well for floor standing/larger speakers it can be justified.

5. deluxe

deluxe Member

Cambridge Audio CXR200. Fantastic sound in stereo or surround ~3k

Edit- can't go wrong with Anthem as holden mentioned, Arcam worth a listen too

6. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Anthem is the go. Cambridge quit all av receivers over a year ago, can’t buy new any more.

7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

9. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Another vote for Anthem. If music is your priority and you don't want to go the way of separate AV/HiFi components, then Anthem all the way.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  10. deluxe

deluxe Member

Yes you can, there's still stock kicking around

11. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Not all places advertising them as in Stock will actually have stock but even if they did you have to ask yourself why is the store still stuck with the product over a year after it was discontinued? When oppo exited the bluray player market people snapped up remaining stock at full RRP because it was a great product and now it sells for above rrp used on ebay. The same did not happen with Cambridge cxr

If anyone still has stock it is related to the fact that most new cxr units we sold were returned with serious faults within months of purchase.

Surely the fact camrvdidge exited the av receiver market altogether screams “stay away”?.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Zee likes this.
  12. deluxe

deluxe Member

The Oppo was unopposed in its category; that's not a reasonable comparison with the CXR which is in a heavily contested segment. My guess is they didn't want to compete in a low yield market and preferred to push their other products i.e. stereo amps, receivers, dacs etc. Not a deal breaker for me to stay away.

I can't speak to your claim of "most new cxr units we sold were returned with serious faults within months of purchase" but I find it surprising given the build quality of their units in the past. The examples I've listened to certainly had no issues

13. |bLuEqUt|

|bLuEqUt| Member

Super happy with our RXV-2085. Tripple HDMI out if that's your think. Sounds great/ Can be had for around $1600.

14. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

I've owned both Oppo, and Cambridge players [ still have a few Oppo"s] The Cambridge was really a clone of the oppo, and used a considerable number of components,relative to both
    The big problem was the cambridge player was not an Oppo, and did not attract the same number of sales targets. It was thought that when Oppo withdrew there players Cambridge
    would take there place. That did not happen.
    Your average buyer, did not have use for ether cambridge or oppo, and simply settled for a low budget player, so again limiting the market. It was simply un'viable to set-up dealerships and sales promotions for a product with limited sales returns. Oppo on the other hand, simply wanted to concentrate on there phone sales with huge numbers going to the asian markets.

As for Oppo sales, If you still have a new 200 series model in it's unopened box expect to get twice and sometimes three times the retail price, without waiting long. 4 thousand dollars is not an uncommon price.

As for Cambridge players consistently failing / braking down / etc, I find that very hard to believe. I think it's more a case off high priced products not getting the sales the cheaper / budget models get.
    Australia is a very small buying market, so manufacturers simply steer clear of mid range, and high range products in favour of there budget models.

15. flain

flain Member

Consider upgrading your TV to one with HDMI ARC and skipping the need for 4K support in a receiver all together :).

16. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

nobody in here said the Cambridge players break down, and I would also attest to their quality, my showroom was at one point running about 5 of them every day without issue. The CXR receivers are the units I did say were somewhat unreliable.

17. OP
    OP
    DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I ended up buying the Anthem MRX720, thanks Holdenkicks. I’ve had it under a week and I’ve not had a lot of time to play, it’s busy here this time of year, but here’s a brief review.

The first thing you do when you unpack it is to update the firmware which was an exercise in extreme frustration. If you buy one of these get the dealer to update it, I tried 5 different USB sticks, 4 weren’t recognised at all and the one that was only updated to 43% then failed. Finally I did a full reformat of the USB stick that did 43%, not a quick format but a full reformat. That worked. I’m glad my tractor was locked up, I’d have happily run it over several times.

It took a while to install and I was surprised to find that the speaker terminals don’t take banana plugs. Everything on it is pretty standard and luckily I use a wired network connection because I can’t work out where to put the wireless password, more time to discover required.

Yesterday I finally got to trying out the room correction, I used the auto mode because I’m lazy - mistake. The room correction is brilliant and the 5.1 setup I tuned improved out of sight, suddenly dialogue was easy to understand, bass didn’t boom through the room. Words fail me in explaining how much better the setup was after room correction. The issue with the Yamaha I had was never the receiver itself but rather the poor room this setup is located. The only issue I found with the room correction was the horrid update process, the laptop loads the profile to the receiver and fails a dozen times before completing the upload, they really need to work on the receiver update process, form firmware to profiles. I need to now repeat the room correction process because I want another profile for just 2 channel music, I don’t want to use the subwoofer for music, it’s not of the same quality as the main speakers so I need to do that in pro or expert mode, whatever they call it. You can assign a profile to an input so I need to do two profiles and the 2 channel profile will be set to the NUC that has my Roon server.

I watched my first full movie last night and the unit is fabulous, sound is really tight and everything sounds crystal clear. It’s many times the price of the Yamaha so an unfair comparison and the Anthem is not as sophisticated in some respects, the Yamaha always did strange things for me eg turned the TV on when I turned it on to listen to music, the Anthem doesn’t do that and the HDMI inputs switch so much quicker.

I’m very happy with the Anthem after all the quirks with software are mainly one off or rarely used.

I highly recommend this receiver. I’ll provide further updates when I get both profiles setup and have had a chance to listen.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  18. Zee

Zee Member

Eh? I'm not aware of a single 4k TV without ARC.

The other thing is, Arc is only really useful if you're only using the TV as a source, and even then, very few TV's currently support ATMOS through ARC (as far as I know).

Z...

19. flain

flain Member

What i mean is run everything into the TV directly, then HDMI ARC from TV to audio system that way 4K support on the receiver isn't relevant. I don't see why video should run through an audio receiver (especially if you do any gaming) when TVs these days generally have enough HDMI inputs for everything and it's nicer to use the native functionality of the TV to change sources etc.

20. Zee

Zee Member

Because Atmos/DTSHDMA etc. Most TV's don't pass it. Also, receivers tend to have better video processing (oddly) than TV's. Well, the good receivers do.

Z...