Recommendations for home laptop SSD backup software prior to updating to larger SSD

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Martyn, May 11, 2019.

1. Martyn

Martyn Member

Hi,
    I'm going to be upgrading my sons highschool laptop next weekend with a larger SSD & memory.

I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of having to reinstall Windows 10 plus all of his other software, so ideally create a current image of his SSD, upgrade it, reinstall the image, expand the partition and generally not have to do anymore than that.

In the past I've upgraded my desktop, usually using the SSD or hard drive's own software; using one of the available internal sata slots to do the transfer before physically removing the old drive & swapping the new drive in.

In this case, being a laptop there aren't any spare ports.

I've had a look at Acronis Trueimage which I have used in the past (a long time ago now), but looking at their website it's now either sold as a yearly service for around ~$70, or as a once off the same amount (locked into the current version).

If it was half the price, it'd be a no brainer - but for $70, I'd rather spend the extra on more storage on the SSD.

Windows 10 looks to have a built in system image option, but from what I can tell without testing is that it would require a new version of Windows 10 to be installed (same license key, so no extra charge, just extra time) before I could do the recovery.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some alternatives?

Also, as I'm upgrading the memory at the same time, should I wait a period of time between upgrading the SSD & memory to not have the Windows license flag as too many hardware changes and cause other issues?

2. OP
    OP
    Martyn

Martyn Member

Well, while I was typing the above I had my desktop Windows 10 run a backup of my SSD to an external hard drive and received the attached message at the end.

Looks like Windows 10 has the functionality built in.

Win 10 backup.PNG

3. akashra

akashra Member

I have gone from a 60 to 120 to 250 to 500 to 1TB SSD on my Windows 10 install by imagine the disk all without reinstalling.

I've used a mix of Acronis TruImage and EaseUS Partition Master - I've never minded spending the $70-ish to make sure I get it right.

Your other options would be Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla. While I've tried both, ultimately each time I've gone back to the paid tools.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

How about free? The hard disk manufacturers (at least Seagate, WD and Samsung) have a free version for download that you can use for exactly your purpose.

firey4059 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Martyn

Martyn Member

Thanks guys,
    My problem (I thought) was that due to a lack of expansion ports in the laptop I couldn't have both SSD's hooked up to do the re-imaging.

I didn't realise that Windows 10 now has the capability to image to an external USB drive, so all I've got to do is create the image, create a system repair disk, swap out the old SSD for the new SSD & reimage it back.

firey4059 likes this.
  6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. broccoli

broccoli Member

This is the easiest, if you get an external drive dock, you could do this.

firey4059 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Martyn

Martyn Member

That's the plan; I've got a spare external USB3 drive that should suffice.

I'm planning on showing / instructing my son on how to take his laptop apart, identify both the ram & ssd, remove - go down to Scorptec and have him order the correct parts & reinstall.

Hopefully get him comfortable around upgrading / trouble shooting pc's so he doesn't have to rely on anyone else.

Will report back Saturday afternoon :thumbup:

firey4059 likes this.
  9. broccoli

broccoli Member

I meant a dock, not a drive. You can put the new internal drive in the dock, clone the system to it and then put the new drive in. Saves the copying to and copying back.

10. OP
    OP
    Martyn

Martyn Member

That makes sense, don't have a dock - would save at least one operation to save some time; will have a look into it.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

They are not hugely expensive, and they can be handy to have for cloning and copying in the future.

12. domsmith

domsmith Member

Buy a retail Samsung Drive.

You can download the Data Migration Software from their website which will clone the drive from the old to the new ssd

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

You failed to mention they type of ssd if its a m.2 type you can get a cheap usb enclosure on ebay to transfer the data.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Wozzernux likes this.
  14. darknebula

darknebula Member

Do this, its easy and will allow you to expand your partitions at the same time, its almost fool proof

15. ex4n

ex4n Member

16. power

power Member

should be able over usb if you want to do it that way OP. just buy a $30 enclosure.

i'd probably blow it away and have it all squeaky clean.

you won't trip activation, and even if you do it's automated.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

18. ex4n

ex4n Member

It's not the first name that comes to mind when I think backups, I know they've been around for a long time but they always struck me as consumer/freeware kind of software rather than enterprise level.
    I'm sure it would do the job fine, but a lot of us are probably more familiar with Veeam, I know I am.

19. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

+1 Seems to work well for all but fringe case.

OP
    If you are replacing the drive just clone straight from one to the other then test the machine before you nuke the older drive just in case.

20. OP
    OP
    Martyn

Martyn Member

An update - I ended up purchased a Samsung Evo 860 500gig to replace an older Kingston 128gig ssd.

At the same time I purchased a Simplecom SD352 docking bay to connect the new drive to the laptop & used the Samsung migration software to clone the drive.

Approximately half an hour later, drive cloned, older one taken out of laptop, new one installed & back up and running.

Windows 10 didn't miss a beat, despite the larger drive & bump in memory from 6gb to 12gb.

broccoli likes this.