1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for Tennis Photography

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by diane_75, Jan 4, 2010.

1. diane_75

diane_75 Member

hi guys,

i'm off to the tennis, starting from tomorrow, yay! last year i had some success with my 350d and 70-200 f2.8, however, the pics were largely shot via auto Sports mode!

this year, i have a new shiny 7D, which i'm really excited about particularly for the boost in FPS, but, there is no auto Sports mode, so i have to choose the settings myself...

i will be going back and looking at the settings chosen by my 350d + Sports last year, however i thought i would get some suggestions from you guys too...

i'm also undecided about whether to use auto or manual focus, but i think i may use both about 50/50...

tia!

2. iXeR0

iXeR0 Member

Shutter Priority 1/500th would be a start. You can bump it up if it's bright enough or go for 1/100th or so for some motion blur.

3. altorus

altorus Member

Shutter priority is a good place to start - remember to use exposure compensation if the shots are coming out too light/dark.

I'd recommend having the histogram viewable on image playback so you can get a good idea of the overall exposure.

4. bowds1122

bowds1122 Member

With the focus, i'd just be using auto in Ai-Servo mode.

5. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

I cant imagine many scenarios at the tennis where you'd have time to manually focus

6. NRGU

NRGU Member

also, auto iso so if shutterspeed <1/500 iso increases to compensate :)

7. methd

methd Member

actually u do, just prefocus and then spam away. tennis players dont generally move that much compared to other sports, so it's one of the few sports u can manually focus.

i'd shoot aperture priority and just keep an eye on the shutter to make sure it's nice and quick. if it's not, then raise the iso just to cover it. depending on the crop 1/500 would be a minimum speed.

8. OP
    OP
    diane_75

diane_75 Member

cool, thanks for the feedback guys, fingers crossed!

9. michael_

michael_ Member

i would aim for a little higher than 1/500, close to 1/1250 if you want to freeze both racquet and ball, not to mention arms, day time you should be able to get upwards of that, if you dont feel conmfortable with a higher iso then shoot at the max, one thing you have to keep in mind is to shoot as wide open as possible, tennis is fairly tight in terms of backgrounds and you want seperation from backgrounds.

If settings is all you want adivse on then thats mine, other advise, dont shoot their backs, its a nothing shot, so only shoot the player when there body is facing you and they are playing a shot, try for different angles with backgrounds, look for clean backgrounds, ie get up high so the angle of the court is the background, shoot tight for facial expressions, in my experience tennis gives some of the best facial expressions from the effort they are putting in, and lastly go see what others are doing and get ideas, look for pockets of light when the sun is setting or gaps in fences or seating.

btw which event are you attending? i am assuming Brisbane?

10. OP
    OP
    diane_75

diane_75 Member

thanks for the tips michael (any are welcome!). yes, i went to brisbane yesterday... it didn't go so well, i didn't achieve the sharpness in my photos that i really wanted... of course, they're not allowing monopods this year, which i made good use of last year. anyway, i hope to have better success in sydney.

cheers,

11. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Theyre not allowing monopods in? Maybe walk in with it like a walking stick and see how you go haha ;)

12. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

dr house....?

13. mikechong

mikechong Member

i'd actually suggest shooting in M mode. Sometimes when you have strong light on the player and dark shadows behind the player, it'll throw the metering way off and you blow out the player. Find a shutter speed/aperture combo you're happy with then just lock it in. On a clear day and under the lights at night, the light intensity is pretty constant (unless you have a lot of rolling clouds).

14. OP
    OP
    diane_75

diane_75 Member

nah, they changed the rule partway through the sydney medibank international last year, i was able to bring it in on the first day, but not on the final day.

i did manage to sneak my monopod in to the open last year (under my shorts!), but i don't think i'll risk it this year. i suspect that once inside the grounds the security guards will be more much attuned to it this year.

15. michael_

michael_ Member

what lens are you using? and why do you need the monopod?

16. OP
    OP
    diane_75

diane_75 Member

it's a 70-200 f2.8, i find it pretty heavy, so the monopod helps with stability - you don't use one?

17. michael_

michael_ Member

only with anything larger than the 400 2.8, its to restrictive with shorter focl lengths.

18. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

I dare say michael is a bit bigger and stronger than diane though ;)

19. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Diane, maybe you could look at some alternatives like using an empty seat in front of you or your knees to brace your elbows, etc?

I guess it comes back to where youre shooting from, whether youre in the stands or standing courtside?

20. michael_

michael_ Member

possibly :p i mean i can hand hold the 400 for about 20-30 min then my arms fall off