Recommendations for transportation in Indonesia (Surabaya to Probolinggo to Banyuwangi to Denpasar)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by choppa, Aug 1, 2018.

1. choppa

choppa Member

Hi All,

Heading off to Indonesia soon but have yet to arrange transportation. Everyone has told me to not self-drive... mainly due to scams that involve "white man = your fault" syndrome where people target you as the law apparently is against you as a tourist (i.e. if you weren't there then an accident wouldn't have happened, irrespective of whether you're at fault).

Anyway, I'm trying to find transportation options for the following legs:
    - Surabaya to Probolinggo
    - Probolinggo to Banyuwangi
    - Banyuwangi to Denpasar

Currently the preference is for a calm driver who can communicate in English and drives a decent modern safe car, as I have two seniors joining me and they are very apprehensive about getting in a car that is unsafe.

It doesn't have to be a car though, however I've read about the bus scams, the petty theft, etc. Comfort is a big consideration as well as the convenience to be able to stop every now and then to take some photos or go for a restroom stop.

I've looked around a fair bit on TripAdvisor and LonelyPlanet websites, but there seems to be a LOT of shilling going on, and I have not received much assistance in trying to find a reputable company that can offer transportation options.

Appreciate any help my favourite community may be able to offer. Thanks!