Recommendations where to buy\brands for arcade controls?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by nic55, Mar 22, 2019.

1. nic55

nic55 Member

Hey guys,

I've worn out a couple of buttons on my arcade1up cab and the joystick is pretty junk, I'd like to swap them out and have already stuck a PC running bigbox inside. This has been my first experience with an arcade style control deck and i'd like to get something with a nice feel setup.

Browsing ebay of course gives me hundreds of "sanwa style" controls, locally I've found Austin Amusements which seem to have a good selection to pick from as well as ozstick.

I was even thinking of putting in LED buttons so I could light up only the active ones per game, but the local sites I've found don't seem to have any brand name light up buttons.

Can anyone share their experiences with different button types?
    Cheers!

2. Camm

Camm Member

3. nimmers

nimmers Member

4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I've purchased from Austin Amusements, quick delivery, had to wait for red button stock but otherwise had everything i wanted from 1 store and good total price. Bought a Xinmo 2 player USB controller (i think it was a clone at the time but they list xinmo as brand name now)

this is a good guide to button/stick attributes that i read through to make a decision:
    http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html

I didn't know what I wanted but I decided to go with Sanwa JLW sticks and OBSN screw in buttons. Was originally going to go with JLF but the JLW seemed to be considered more of an all rounder stick and the JLF more of a 'fighter' stick.

the screw in buttons i figured would be more secure but do require clearance between the buttons on the underside of the control panel for the screw on nut and a thinner control panel.

The engage distance on these is very short so they are very easy to trigger and don't have a tactile click like old arcade buttons i remember. I found it easy to get used to them though and really like them now. You just have to be careful resting your fingers on them.

I think any brand name be it Sanwa/Happ etc should be superior to the stock parts in the 1up cab and impress.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  5. oculi

oculi Member

I'm pretty happy with the ones I got from ebay, the light up ones are fun, but the only ones I could find have convex tops (Sanwa style I guess, I prefer HAPP style) and the paper diffuser on one of them fell out so you can see the globe.

All of the convex top buttons (HAPP style) I have bought have been pretty similar and fine.

As mentioned retention needs to be considered.

here are some photos of mine showing not much detail

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...-fairly-cheap-and-easy.1229175/#post-17698385

6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I should have mentioned the Convex/Concave difference but if you read the slagcoin link it should help you with comparisons on this and other aspects. While I decided on convex (sanwa) play buttons I also picked up some generic concave buttons for P1/P2 (start) and P1/P2 (coin) since they would just be utility buttons.

I honestly see merits in either style, I like the light touch but also like the tactile click. You can change the micro switches in some buttons too so you can get a different resistance/tactile feel out of the same button. If you've tried mechanical keyboards with different switch types and can recognize the difference in feel that's a good reference point of what to expect from different buttons.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I swear I had a button/joystick guide up somewhere. Must have been over on AussieArcade.

Went through the throw/activation styles of some of the major brands. I'll have to try and dig it up.

8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

So i've struggled to get second player working on my xinmo controller under linux. Would not recommend unless you're using windows or a pi. The fix for the pi should translate to standalone linux install of emulation station but I can't get it to work.

I'm so fucked off with it I'm just going to buy an ipac or something.

EDIT: fine print located: * This board does not work with Linux kernel greater than ver. 3.2

Pic related: FUN

IMG_20190323_170008.jpg

9. oculi

oculi Member

I used zerodelay encoders, i'm sure ipacs are better but ain't nobody got money fo' dat! just wire them right as per adventures detailed in my linked thread.

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

just wondering out aloud -
    some arduino boards have a usb HID chip on the board (irc 32u4 ??) can that be used as a keyboard encoder using IO pins for the buttons ?

11. oculi

oculi Member

IMHO even if it works a ZD encoder is about 15 bucks, has all the cables with sockets you need to plug straight into your joystick and buttons. If you like stuffing around and crimping and so on go for the arduino, if not get something pre-made.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

13. oculi

oculi Member

I never knew there was such a thing, cheers!

I considered that, half the reason I didn't do it was the aforementioned cable issue, but I don't think I could find any info on how to do it either (I didn't look very hard)

also it would suck having that many wires between your joypad and your Pi/whatever unless it was in a dedicated cabinet, I use mine as a media player on two different TVs and it is good only having to unplug two USB cables to move it.

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

15. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

2 units + quick connects for sticks. I noticed some listings came with ribbon for sticks, I need individual plugs for my sticks. slightly less than what i paid for the xinmo too. Sold.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zero-De...330784&hash=item33c89f862c:g:NSoAAOSwr~lYpqYc

oculi likes this.
  16. domsmith

domsmith Member

I order from etokki and the delivery has been super quick.
    The ones from focus attack the delivery takes longer but they have larger range of fight sticks with custom options spare rubber grommets during order. etc.

I currently use a Crown 301 DX in my Panthera Fight Stick.

Sanwa JLF if you want a standard Japanese arcade stick + buy an octogate or circle gate to give you different options make sure you also order additional wiring harness
    Sanwa uses spring to pull back to neutral.

Sanwa JLF
    https://www.etokki.com/Joysticks/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8Y-SK
    Addtional Octo Gate
    https://www.etokki.com/Misc/Sanwa-GT-Y-Octogonal-Gate

If you play things like Tekken then a Korean Fanta stick like a Crown 309Helpme or Crown 309MJ or Crown SDL-301-DX.

Korean Sticks - These are also known as Fanta Sticks
    Silicon/rubber sometimes with additional light spring will pull these sticks back to neutral the rubber grommits around 35A feel best for me.
    (these will require a different wiring harness)

Crown 301 DX (This one has Sanwa compatible mounting plate holes)
    https://www.focusattack.com/samducksa-sdl-301-dx-s-joystick-lever-2018-model/

Crown 309MJ (This one has Sanwa compatible mounting plate holes)
    https://www.focusattack.com/crown-cwl-309mj-kms-st25-joystick/

Crown 309 Helpme (This one is Crown Mounting plate style)
    https://www.focusattack.com/crown-cwl-309helpme-k-kms-st35-joystick/

Old School Joysticks with short throws.

If you are after the older Australian style Joystick then MCA fight sticks. (These are hard to come by)

There are also SUZO 2831 which have similar style to the MCA Sticks often found in old Neogeo machines (These are hard to come by) this ebay lister is selling two of these sticks.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-NEW-...m33da3d139a:g:RDAAAOSwyYFZ~DpE&frcectupt=true

elvis likes this.
  17. domsmith

domsmith Member

Brook PCB converters are best if your planning on using the controls with USB PS4/PC as these get frequent firmware updates to work around PS4 timeout issues.

18. OP
    OP
    nic55

nic55 Member

Well this certainly blew up!

I've got a lot of reading to do, thanks to everyone that posted info.

Has anyone experience with the Ultrastik? (https://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html) I've considered getting one of these so to play the usual arcade games + a compromise for driving games etc. I know it wouldn't be perfect but with some practice should be able to get the hang of some driving games, plus a few naomi games (monkey ball) seem to need analogue also.

Currently i've got the zero delay encoders like oculi, these are detected as a n64 controller in retroarch and offer (so far) all options required, they also have the ability to switch between digital\analog input on the joystick, although as far as i can tell the analogue input is just the digital stick converted to all or nothing.

During my search I've only found cheap LED style buttons, sounds like you've had similar issues? It would be a nice wow factor having only the applicable buttons light up (ledblinky) but perhaps not worth it if the buttons are junk.

19. oculi

oculi Member

Actually I think mine are filament globes, to be fair I was only looking for cheap ones.

20. nimmers

nimmers Member

I use Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu LS-32 sticks

Sanwa for fighting games where you need fast circular movements like Super Turbo or Third Strike
    Seimitsu for just about everything else