Recommendations where to buy\brands for arcade controls?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by nic55, Mar 22, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ditto.

Although I don't mind Sanwa for older arcade games. New danmaku shmups are much nicer on short-throw Seimitsu sticks though.

2. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Zero delays came today, individual grounds is far easier to manage than a daisy chain.

My only gripe is the tiny holes on the PCB. I did not have any screws small enough to directly mount.
    Cable tied them to some ply off cuts and then screwed the ply in place instead.

IMG_20190328_151244.jpg IMG_20190328_194615.jpg

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

What options are out there for sticks that can be changed 2/4/8 way in a hurry.
    Definitely don't want to have to break out a screw driver .. and would prefer something like just lift and turn (if such a thing exists)
    games would be almost all old arcade titles, with a few modern titles (like sonic on mega drive)
    Not sure it matters, but this would be for a two player setup on MiSTer, so the game playlist may change over time as i discover more

So a sanwa JLW for the old games, but what about the quick change ??
    Sorry for the gumby question, I dont know what words to search ..

4. oculi

oculi Member

I've seen two types, one had a rotating ring around the stick (on the top of the panel) that switches between 4 way and 8 way, the other was much the same but was motorised and had no ring on top.

You could put two joysticks next to each other, space permitting.

5. elvis

My opinion is that the quick-change is handy, but the sticks themselves are midrange at best.

It's all personal preference of course, but Sanwa/Seimitsu are my personal gold standard for arcade sticks. Everything else feels a bit crappy to me.

I've rolled out quick-change sticks on cabinets I've built for friends. A quick explanation that 4-way is better for Pac-Man/DonkeyKong and 8-way for StreetFighter/MortalKombat, and they're happy. Most don't play games "seriously", so for casual fun they're fine.

If I roll out the same sticks to mates who all play Street Fighter seriously, they'd tell me to shove off. Each to their own, but you have to make the call somewhere.

My advice to anyone who's seriously into this hobby is make yourself a standing cabinet for horizonal screen, newer games (which can play newer vertical shmups if needed). Then make yourself a second cabinet or bartop for vertical, 2/4-way, old-school games, most of which are better for single player, single button anyway.

Yes, it's less convenient than a true "all in one" cabinet. But IMNSHO, "all in one" cabinets look like shit anyway. I'd rather have 2 sexy/legit looking cabs, than one "franken-cab".

You never want to be this guy...

pacmatt01.jpg

Nor any of these guys:
    http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    MUTMAN and flain like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    nic55

nic55 Member

Ultimarc make joysticks that have a servo to auto switch, apparently the module can also fit the Ultrastik and some Sanwa models.

https://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html

See it in action here:

I've had an overload of joystick info to read my way through since starting this thread and still haven't been able to commit to a purchase! Leaning toward testing some of the Ultimarc gear over the more traditional types though as they seem like they'd suit a casual gamer well.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. elvis

Zero complaints about Ultimarc's build quality. Andy (owner of Ultimarc) is a long time arcade enthusiast - probably one of the longest directly serving the "build your own" crowd. He cares greatly about this stuff.

Regardless of personal preference on sticks, Ultimarc are an excellent vendor. OzStick here in Australia are a good local reseller of Ultimarc gear too, if you want to avoid long waits on US postage. I've dealt with them a few times, and they're always fast and friendly.

nic55 likes this.
  8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

:sick::sick::sick:

I Haven't tried to switch my Sanwa JLW's to 4 way mode yet because effort. Tried to play Pacman and Boulder Dash and didn't go so well.
    That Servostik upgrade would be cool assuming my JLW's support it but without planning for it would require considerable modification to my control panel now and even then there might not be adequate clearance for it.

If you were primarily playing single player depending on your software setup you could have 1P set to 8 way and 2P set to 4 way and just use the appropriate stick per game. If you plan a decent session with 2 players then change one stick back. Still limiting but not as 'extreme' as having an entire second machine or control panel.

9. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I only just noticed too that it has a P1 and P2 button...

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Thanks everyone. I'll have to save up for that ulti servostik :)

12. oculi

oculi Member

just buy some cheap junk and have a go, you will learn plenty and might even be happy with it.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I've reached a point with a ebay special that i want more. they'd be fine for a casual muck around setup for sure.
    guessing I'm just going OTT like a lot of us here :)

14. oculi

oculi Member

ah fair enough, thought you didn't have anything set up yet, if you're already on the train then by all means look for something that is good

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Anyone seen these ? any good ?

Look to be the poor mans version. so right up my alley :D

Attached Files:

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I was over at altronics yesterday and they had some arcade gear on display
    they have a really solid feeling joystick for $20
    https://www.altronics.com.au/p/s1147-arcade-style-microswitch-joystick/
    which turns out to be a 'Zippy' which in turn from what I've read seems to be a Seimitsu LS-32 knock-off ??
    any way they also have 'zero delay' encoders for $20
    https://www.altronics.com.au/p/s1148-usb-interface-for-arcade-joystick-and-buttons/
    and the only 'not so great' item in the line up the buttons at $10 a hit just too much money
    https://www.altronics.com.au/search/all/?sr=Arcade+Style+Momentary+LED+Illuminated+Switch
    maybe it was just the one on display, but the action didn't feel great to me...

anyway, after all the posturing I've been doing on sticks and buttons I've gone and ordered a heap of gear from OzStick
    2x Sanwa JLW, a few screw back micro switch buttons, and two Xin Mo usb encoders.
    I went with two single encoders because I couldn't find a straight answer on compatibility of I-Pac and MiSTer.
    eventually, I'll look into getting some servo driven gates like the 3D printed ones in the video above.

for now i'll stay on a 8 way gate and use that as my excuse for poor scores :)
    anyway $160 lighter and cant wait on some nice old school stick action

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member