Recommended Docking Stations?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Dr Kildare, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

Anyone had a good experience with docking stations? (on MacOS)
    From experience the DisplayLink variants seem a bit flaky but ideally after something that is compatible with both Windows & MacOS

Early days but also keen for any USB-C experiences.

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I hotplug a TB cinema display in to my mbpr, works fine. Not quite a docking station but it has USB/FW/Audio/ethernet PLUS a screen.

3. giles666

giles666 Member

New LG USB-C display is great. Screen is great. Industrial design is a bit average. Using a single cable for everything is awesome.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Is that the 5K one they are selling on the mac store?

5. giles666

giles666 Member

I have the 4k one, but yes, 5k one is the same.

6. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

7. mantaray

mantaray Member

We bought the Thunderbolt 2 for my wife's Macbook Pro 2015 as she was hesitant about plugging and unplugging, Ethernet adapters ,usb's, display ports etc whenever she wanted to take it out of the office to the lounge room.
    It works great, she hooks everything to the Dock and one display port to the Macbook Pro and away she goes.
    It has had no problems connecting, the External display works great, no speed loss on Ethernet. USB3 ports work great. Be aware, even though it has 2 Display ports one is used all time to connect to Macbook Pro. Then again you do have he use of all the unused ports on the Macbook pro.
    We bought it from Macfixit; https://www.macfixit.com.au/.
    After you work out exchange rates and postage , it worked out cheaper than the US (also we got a free Thunderbolt cable).
    Would I buy one again, in a minute.

8. OP
    OP
    Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

Thanks all for the info :) Few good options there

9. bryn

bryn Member

which mac- macbook or macbook pro?

I bought a couple of these recently: https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Multi-Port-Adapter-Ethernet/dp/B01FWT7MEA

It works well- plug & play including ethernet, HDMI via displayport alternate mode on the USB-C port etc. Its USB-C not Thunderbolt, so it will work on both the current Macbook & Macbook Pro

I also got a usb-c male to female cable so the unit can be out of sight under the desk.