1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by Ravennoir, Jun 17, 2016.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yah one of the few times as a PC+switch person I envy the XB/PS crowd. Loved the last-gen version.

Still unsure why they never ported this to PC, I mean it worked out fine for GTA.

2. power

power Member

because they hate money

3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Does anyone know if I get the digital version of RDR1 if it will run at 1080p on Xbox one?

I know on Xbox one X it runs at 4k.

If I buy the disc copy for 360 (backwards compatible) that will just run as it was designed, 720p or so.

4. power

power Member

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Doesn't fully answer it as that's the disc version (even though it downloads game essentially). Runs at 720p

The 4k remaster is newer and aimed at the X but wondering if any improvements on the non X.

6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I mentioned the download in my post. After this backwards compatible version came out, another new version labelled the remaster came out. It can be played on Xbox One(afaik) and xbox one X. I want to know what Res it runs on the non X. (the new remaster)

7. power

power Member

The back compat verson has never been labelled a remaster.

upload_2018-7-31_8-28-41.png

upload_2018-7-31_8-30-4.png

Attached Files:

walker_2003 likes this.
  8. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Thanks that clarifies it, its def a different version though, even if it doesn't use words remaster (like your video does).

The backwards compatible version came out in 2016 and the 4k version in 2018. That's why I wondered if any improvements to the non X. Seems not.

Maybe the 4k is just a patch to the original backwards compatible 2016 version.

9. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Yeah, I fucked up, didn't realise there were two separate versions.

Now I owe my co-worker an apology, because I urged him to buy it a month back, and he got the original, not the 4K remaster that I didn't know was coming.

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Maybe not.. I think the 2018 4k version might just be a patch to the 2016 backwards compatible one..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/red-dead-redemption/bwklfhwt7dhc

Mentions 'xbox one X enhanced'

11. elvis

I'll ask my co-worker to update tonight and report back on if that affects the disc version.

[edit] Goddamnit just spoke to him, and he's got the download version, not the disc. I shouldn't post before coffee.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    walker_2003 likes this.
  12. power

power Member

watch the clip, all they've done is up the pixel count. it is not a remaster. still just back compat on X.

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. elvis

I don't mind, TBH. RDR1 had some beautiful landscapes and wide open spaces that turned into a blurry, jagged mess at medium distance from the camera. A higher pixel count and better anisotropic filtering really shows off stuff in the distance, and even though the engine is old, it still holds up pretty well.

A lot of PS2 games got up-res versions for PS3, with basically just higher resolution, 16:9, no extra texture improvements, and looked great. Ditto for a lot of PS3/720p->PS4/HD games. Now seeing a lot of 720p content scale to UHD/4K is pretty nice, even without bigger textures and other enhancements, again especially with stuff where there are large outdoor scenes.

Full remasters take time and money. Just rendering an old game at higher res is far less work (not zero work, I realise, as even resolution changes can mess things up), which means we still get to enjoy older titles at budget prices.

walker_2003 likes this.
  14. power

power Member

at the same time as i played this game on PS3, I also was playing games at 4K on my PC. A good game it was even in it's original form, no-one will miss out even playing on original hardware.

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

It's same thing but one bought on store is $ can get disc copy for cheap especially second hand and then it downloads.

16. power

power Member

many disc versions also come with Undead Nightmare.

17. elvis

For sure. I think it's nice for people who missed out originally and want to try out an older game (like our "Let's Plays", where there are lots of newer options for older games). But at the same time, these games were popular and perfectly playable on old hardware in their original form.

I played through RDR1 entirely on PS3, and don't feel like I missed out on anything because of the resolution.

Drizz06 likes this.
  18. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I’ve only played the PS3 version and it was fantastic!

Omg the hype is starting to get to me though, I’m starting to check YouTube on a daily basis now looking for the next trailer to drop.

19. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

[​IMG]
    Hell yeah! All aboard that hype train!

elvis likes this.
  20. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

elvis likes this.