Redux - Custom designed 12.5 Litre tower case

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Tazor, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Tazor

Tazor Member

Hey everyone,

I have long been in the pursuit of my perfect SFF case, since I got into computer building in 2010 and ITX boards started to become more popular and available with 1156 boards.

I have constantly been changing my builds, always searching for the best option I could find and recently, while doing my second DanCase build I sort of settled on something: I'm not going to be happy unless I design the case myself.

So that's what I'm doing, with the help of Michael from Velkase who designs the 4L Velka series cases and takes custom case commissions via his an online order form.

I had some key aspects I needed to cover:
    Air cooled with great airflow
    Support for 130mm CPU coolers
    Support for 225mm GPU's
    Clean, industrial design

I'm about a month away from have the case made, but in the final stages of the design and in a place currently where I can post the initial renders of the case and go through the build.

So, without further ado, I give you Redux:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Component wise the system will be as follows:
    i7 9700K
    AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX
    16Gb Team T-Force XTreem 36000Mhz DDR4
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
    ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 500Gb M.2 SSD
    Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 with Noctua NF-F12
    Silverstone Nightjar 450W Passive SFX-L PSU
    2 x 140mm and 2 x 80mm Noctua Redux case fans

The case is designed to support 240mm radiators if you use a 17cm GPU, but I want to air cool everything for a simplistic and industrial final build.

It's not going to have any RGB, No IO with only a power switch hidden on the back of the case, nothing crazy. Functional, effective and stylish.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and impressions!

Cheers,

Tazor

2. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Here are some more final renders:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have removed PSU ventilation as I have a passive unit and the rear ventilation will be enough combined with the front airflow to cool the PSU.
    Have also removed side Ventilation as it's not required and I'm trying for a more wind tunnel effect.

3. Cynide

Cynide Member

I like the minimalist design.
    Just curious why you don’t put the PSU at the top and allow the GPU to vent through the bottom (and have feet to lift the case marginally)?

4. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

I thought about it, but my PSU is VERY heavy being passive, so it would require additional things like some kind of brace to support it.

But I'm saying that, having it there I could do a bottom fan. One reason was so I could leave the bottom solid for better directional airflow and the GPU still has a decent gap for intake.

5. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Have hit a bit of a wall, as this design is looking to be very expensive to create small scale due to the long time it takes to drill out the holes.
    Since I don't want to spend $1000 on a single case, we're looking at other option, potentially making the entire front and top completely blank with side gaps for intake.

Will update once we've come up with some new designs.

6. ex4n

ex4n Member

I like it, nice and simple. You might want to think about dust filters somehow.

Tazor likes this.
  7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was going to ask you who was doing the case for you, I saw your renders the other day but didn't notice the first post. Several cool ideas I would have liked to have made, each time I thought I had someone lined up to actually turn them into something physical its either turned out to be too small a job for them, or way too expensive (the latter usually being a result of the former of course).

Drilling holes shouldn't be that expensive, a CNC process (laser cutting, or stamping) should make that the least of your problems.

Having seen a few crowd funded cases like Dan and Ghost, I've seriously considered getting a really well matured concept ready for submission and actually having a go. Have you considered this route?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

I could, but I don't feel like I have the skills to gather and execute on something like that! Also while I love my concept, I don't know how much support it would get, since it has limitations a lot of consumers won't want.

Michael has been amazing, but I understand his work and methods take time, and time is money. I'm asking some other potential sources what they would charge for a similar concept. Really I just want 2 140mm intakes, 2 80mm exhausts, 130mm CPU clearance and 225mm GPU clearance.

One day I would love to collaborate and bring a design to market but I'm do lazy and young to be able to do it effectively!