Reed switch + LEDs + cupboard

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by leyton01, Apr 30, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    leyton01

leyton01 Member

That's a great resource. I have decided to get both types of switches and see what works.

The Snap-action switches you linked look good so if I am paying shipping I may as well get the relays from there as well
    would these be suitable?
    http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/relay-spdt-sealed-omro

They don't have any NO reed switches so I will just get those from jaycar.

2. OP
    OP
    leyton01

leyton01 Member

Here are the photos showing the top track of the doors.
    Note the bump stop for the left hand (rear) door - I am hoping to put the switch somewhere in there so it is concealed when closed but still accessible to the front door.

My concern is that the reed switch might have difficulties detecting a closed door unless it is completely closed (ie flush) if the switch is mounted behind that bump stop at the end of the track. There is no margin for the door to be partially ajar.

2nd shot is of a door itself out of the track (currently installing shelves)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

9mm concealed reed.
    Example

Only downside they are a bit more sensitive to correct location than the surface mounts. Magnet in the door.

4. OP
    OP
    leyton01

leyton01 Member

Thought about those - the wood surround is attached to brick though so would need to line up 2 right angle holes and somehow feed the wire through if I manage it.

5. OP
    OP
    leyton01

leyton01 Member

Wait - now I am confused...

To have light come on when the door opens (not necessarily fully open) I need a NC switch - right?

6. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Yes..... NC is what you want for the switches. You want the switch to turn 'on' when they are not being pressed or activated.

I would start experimenting with a reed switch in the bumpers and a neodymium magnet in the other door (so in the pic of the track, the reed in the bumper for the rear door will be activated by the magnet in the front door, vice versa for the other end).

I reckon you could easily slip a magnet into the moulding along the edge of the door.

Use hot glue to hold it all together once it's all lined up right and it should work well.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. bradleyk

bradleyk Member

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  8. OP
    OP
    leyton01

leyton01 Member

Magnets should work through it, can't see why it wouldn't - will check tonight.

That horn relay is NO which should be right for this set up.

I take it SPST means it just drives 1 switch but SPDT (single point double throw) means that you can enable one circuit and disable another at the same time. (equal to having an NO and NC in one)

9. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

That is correct, you'll have a common terminal and two other terminals, when one terminal has continuity to the common, the other will be open and vice versa.

10. bradleyk

bradleyk Member

how did it go?

11. OP
    OP
    leyton01

leyton01 Member

LEDs arrived this week and I have all the switches now - it will be a project for this weekend or the next - will post some pics.