refrigerant setup custom phase change

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by @sia@home, Jan 10, 2021.

1. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

If you built a custom phase change setup, how do you get the refrigerant installed and tuned?

Does anyone know an OC friendly A/C guy in Brisbane?

I'm thinking about doing daily -0 this year year for shits. ie grab a evap cooling head, mounting kit and a z590 apex when they come out and then condensation insulating the system.

Zarok77 likes this.
  2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Probably best to look at how the existing phase change systems work and break it down into the components it uses. It works differently to a conventional refrigerant unit.

3. OP
    OP
    @sia@home

@sia@home Member

I haven't even gotten to that point yet Matthew. How do you get an A/C guy to gas the system and tune the pressures etc

4. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

We have a special set of skills.

Well, it is a very well educated guess we make.

Ok, there is some formula's we use to know when the system is charged correctly.

All refrigeration systems run of the same principals. No difference between your Wall rattling room air conditioning unit to a chiller that cools a multi story building to a domestic fridge to a large industrial blast freezer or cryogenics deep freezer.

What does change is the refrigerant, controls and pressures.

5. OP
    OP
    @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Am I going to struggle to find someone to gas the system

6. Zarok77

Zarok77 Member

i am in the process of building a phase cooler, got an old AC unit if can savage anything from it, and the evaporator head from here : Copper Phase Change Evaporator set 54mm - Bartxstore . not start it yet, doing some research how to do it atm:)
    it is not easy imo just wanted to wish Good luck (both of us i guess). Either way would not giving up on buying a new one for like 2k aud :upset:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  7. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

You probably will.

Your best bet is searching for a small (not a one man band, but say 10 or more employee) company OR a traddie who is willing to do a cash job on the side who works with refrigeration.

The reason I say this is refrigerants in Australia are a restricted substance, we have a licence to use it, companies have a licence to buy it. The reason I suggest a traddie who works with refrieration is because ideally you want a refrigeration gas. Yes, your typical AC ones will work, but there is reasons we use different gases for different purposes.

Sadly I work for an AC company (so I can use the gas, but can not buy the required gas), am time poor and am not the best at completing tasks I start. Otherwise I would offer to do this kinda of stuff.

8. Zarok77

Zarok77 Member

9. slavewone

slavewone Member

If anyone wants de-gassed wall rattlers and splits to cannibalise, where I work (Campbelltown-Sydney) typically stockpiles up to a few pallets before we scrap them.

10. Zarok77

Zarok77 Member

Actually received parts for the phase project from Poland just today:

[​IMG]

11. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Is kayl still around? Been at least 15 years since I've dabbled Phase Change cooling, got rid of the Prometeia Mach 2 around 3-4 years ago.

12. Zarok77

Zarok77 Member

I've been told He's retired...