1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Registering a Domain

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by cassius, Sep 8, 2008.

1. cassius

cassius Member

Wanting to register a .com domain for later use. Dont want to do anything much with it at this stage, but maybe use it for email forwarding if you know what I mean.

Are these things easy to setup apart from just registering the .com domain.

I have performed a search on Domain registration but they all vary in price for regestering a Domain. Why is this so?

Ive checked out the OCAU sponser http://www.hightekhosting.com.au/index.php and it seems Ok from what I have read. Is this competetive?

If someone else has recommendations please feel free to post them here or if its with someone else pleasse PM me.

Cheers

2. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

i offer .com's for $11.95 Aud

3. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

around $15 AUD is what you can expect to pay for a .com from an australian webhost.

anyone selling them cheaper isnt concerned how much money they make from domain sales.
    so they would usualy be people that are just starting out (going to up their prices later)
    or some guy who got a reseller account to get cheap domains and sells them to his mates as well.

4. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

do you need a reg'd company to get a .com? or a .net?

5. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

only .au's (and some other countries

.com/.net/.org are available to all

6. neotheo

neotheo Member

is 11.95 for a parked domain? Or one we can add hosts etc to?

First domain i got was parked. So apparently i couldnt do anything with it. I emailed the host and got no response so i emailed again... and again....and again... yeh, i got ripped off there.

Sorry for hijack.

7. OP
    OP
    cassius

cassius Member

Im pretty much wanting to register a .com domain with no big intent to do anything with but in spare time develop a basic website and be able to use my domain name with email etc.

When more time becomes available maybe develop it even further.

What do you think I am best to start out with.

Sorry for the noob questions but have always wanted to get into this and want to put it out there amongs those that have already done what I am wanting to do.

And thanks for those that have taken time to reply.

8. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Sounds like a budget host like hightek is for you then! Just signup for a .com (no specific requirements such as eligibility) and pick a hosting plan and away you go!

9. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

its just parked. But you can use it on free webhosts or just buy some web hosting. Its cheap as chips these days anyway