Reinstall Windows

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Rude88, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Rude88

Rude88 Member

Hoping to get a solution for this without having to buy a new windows 10.
    Ive just upgraded a new cpu ram and mb. Had win 10 installed which was upgraded online to win 10.
    Tried a fresh install using cd and now find that the wifi and network driver isnt installed and the mb cd drivers doesnt support win 8.
    So cant connect to net to upgrade windows or anything.
    Any solutions?

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

3. OP
    OP
    Rude88

Rude88 Member

I didnt know how to do that and only reinstalled before by cd.
    Wonder if I got a copy of win 10 I could use my key from 8.1 as I upgraded free online.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Rude88 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Rude88

Rude88 Member

JSmithDTV likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Rude88

Rude88 Member

Okay downloaded the win 10 iso but it wouldnt accept the key from win 8. Need to activate on 8 first but cant access the net through the pc..
    Any other suggestions?

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Get a USB wifi or ethernet adapter that's Windows 8 compatible as a workaround and possible backup for later.
    If all else fails, you can just call MS to try and help activate off the Windows 8 key. MS Support are there to help, not treat you with suspicion. They might not be able to activate with the key you have, but can issue a replacement (or at least a replacement activation code). I've had that happen once before when I did support for a small business.

PS: You should never invest in upgrades unless you have surety it'll be supported by the OS you intend to use.

8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

When you install windows 10, make sure to choose "I don't have a cd key", windows will install fine and you can enter it and activate it later once you have a working internet connection. If that activation fails, then give microsoft a call on the number provided. A lot of the time it will just be a computer that asks you to enter some numbers, then gives you a confirmation number to type in. If not, just be nice. :)

If you can't get internet working, either download the drivers from another pc onto a usb stick and install them manually, or use your phone as a tethered connection. Basically turns it into a WiFi hotspot, which should just work. (on android at least). Although sounds like you have 10 drivers on the CD if I'm reading that correctly, so this paragraph is a waste of time. move on...

The free in place upgrade from 8 to 10 has expired anyway, so no point even trying to install 8 in hopes of upgrading it again. (There are workarounds, but there are much easier ways to obtain a dodgy activation directly from 10 if you choose that route anyway)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    alexb618 and ecroF like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Rude88

Rude88 Member

Thanks all, ended up buying a activation key on ebay for like $8 so all is good now!

JSmithDTV likes this.
  10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Depending on the reseller, I'd be careful with using ebay for things like that, but best of luck if it all works out in the long run.

11. FOTW

FOTW Member

Capt is right, most likely its Volume license key or MAK Key, if you ever need to re-install windows you might find that you will have to purchase a new key again as that one wont work.

You can check to see what key you got by opening command prompt and typing in:

slmgr /dli

out of curiosity let us know what you got.
    Still not to bad at $8 a pop. Just hope you dont need to re-install to often.

12. philquad

philquad Member

so whats the difference between using a dodgy key then a hackivator ?

13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

About $8 by the sound of it. :p

Rude88, JSmithDTV and philquad like this.
  14. FOTW

FOTW Member

I suppose the ebay key is semi legit and doesn't need a dodgey third party program to trick windows into thinking your using a legit key.

As far as MS is concerned your key is legit. Just the person selling it probably isn't selling it in a legitimate way.

15. philquad

philquad Member

thats it, like msdn keys, they do work, but legally not to be sold.

16. FOTW

FOTW Member

Had a look further into these ebay listings for windows keys some of the Sellers state that they are keys from decommissioned PC's that have been decommissioned in the EU. Under EU law its ok to sell on keys from decommissioned PC's Oracle lost a ruling against them trying to prevent the re-sale of Licence keys. The same could be said for MS license keys. Some of the ebay listings will tell you usually at the bottom whether they are licence keys from decommissioned pc's.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05/08/selling_oem_windows_copies_you/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-even-if-software-company-says-you-cant.shtml

Hooray for the EU.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Rude88 and JSmithDTV like this.