Relay design help

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by oped, Oct 18, 2018.

1. oped

oped Member

Hi everyone, I have a relay design problem which seems to have stumped the Jaycar people so i thought I would turn the the smartest community I know, OCAU!!!

So I have a tank of water at waist height (on a table) which is connected to a tank sitting on the floor via PVC piping which has a gate valve halfway to control flow, to an extent.
    This constantly feeds into a bottom tank, which also has a tap at the bottom which goes to a water pump which pumps the water back to the top tank... which then flows back down to the bottom via PVC then up again.

Now foolishly at the start I thought I could 'match' the water pumps flow using a gate valve on the PVC piping with some trial and error.... I could, but as soon as some water evaporates it'll be out, flooding or over draining the bottom tank.

Sooo, I thought my solution was to buy a float switch, install it in the bottom tank to turn the water pump on once it hits over its desired water level, so that the pump and switch is de-activated until the water hits the float switch level and it would turn the pump on to keep it from overflowing.
    I went to Jaycar and one of the guys there designed me a relay because he advised me my plan to splice the float switch into the active or ground (to cut the power to the pump) was apparently a bad idea lol. There's a diagram of the relay below.

Float Switch Relay.jpg

It works, but it reaches a balance where the pump gets turned on for a second, then off for a second, then on for a second, off for a second etc etc. and it sounds like that pump will be fucked in no time or will drive me insane first.
    Sooo my second idea to that would be to add some part to the relay so that once the float switch turns the pump on, the pump stays on for a designated amount of time like 30 seconds or a minute, so it will drain more water than needed before it stops, giving the pump a rest while it refills.

So I went back to Jaycar to find if there's a device to do so, I was told there is no easy or direct way to do so and they were kinda stumped how to do it at all, so he had me buy some arduino/raspberry pie type stuff and said to google how to use it and add that to the relay....
    Seems a bit complicated and it seemed like he just wanted me out of his face at that point lol so I'm guessing it's not the best solution.

Does anyone have any ideas to my problem?

2. _zak

_zak Member

A 555 IC would be the ideal way to do this. You can set it up to output a pulse for a fixed period of time based on an input (the switch closing). The only issues to overcome would be supplying low-voltage DC and ensuring the coil of your relay is suitable.

oped likes this.
  3. RussellK

RussellK Member

oped likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    oped

oped Member

Thankyou both so much that's exactly what I was hoping to find!!!

I can't wait to tell Jaycar about the 555 IC when I return the other crap they sold me, thanks zak,
    And thankyou Russel I wish I bought that at the start, that is perfect!
    Do you know, do I just replace my current float switch with this one in the relay I already have built?

5. paulvk

paulvk Member

Get a second float switch that is lower than the first
    The higher one turns it on , the lower one turns it off
    And I would not have mains power on the float switches as per your diagram its just too dangerous
    so a small transformer is needed a 12v DC plug pack would be good
    I will get a diagram together for you as soon as I can

oped likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    oped

oped Member

Thank you so much Paul! I was thinking that after I noticed when you look at 2 stage/dual float switches they have 4 cables coming out which suggests two different switches.

Is there a way to add it into the relay I've already built? The relay cost me $100 in parts as it's quite big and in a waterproof relay box, all cables pass through the box with waterproof grommets

7. paulvk

paulvk Member

Have you any plug packs laying around from cordless phone, xmas lights or similar
    and how good are your construction skills some simple soldering?

oped likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    oped

oped Member

I do, I have plenty of those packs lying

I'm good with constructing stuff, especially soldering. I'm a goldsmith so soldering is my jam but yeh, soldering electrical stuff I can do. I can read simple electrical diagrams, high school level, but I never learnt relays or anything beyond a switch haha

9. paulvk

paulvk Member

Have you a 12v DC one it will should be on the pack it does not need to be very big as its only
    going to run a small relay which in turn will drive the relay you already have
    So you will only need another small relay and a float switch
    what will happen is the top float will operate the relay
    the relay will keep itself operated through two of its contacts and via the second lower float
    when the water gets below the lower float this will release the relay
    then the tank fills ,the lower float switches on but relay does not operate,
    water gets to top float it operates relay, pump on
    this repeats itself.
    Note now all the 240V AC will be inside the box !

the relay Jaycar SY4065 + float switch so $27.90

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    oped likes this.
  10. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

RussellK's linked float switch will work without a relay, plug pack or anything else. Just wire the switch inline with the pump and that is it. Does not get any simpler.

oped likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    oped

oped Member

Thank you so much PaulVK, I am going to attempt to build it today, I just watched some videos about how relays work. I'll have a go at it and let you know how go.

The only single problem is it's method of reading the water level doesn't suit my tank. My tank is quite narrow so there is no room for the float to float out to :(

12. paulvk

paulvk Member

Yes the float is simpler but adjustment between on off is unknown
    Ok have drawn a diagram.

Attached Files:

oped likes this.