Relocating (chasing away?) Bee's from inside garage wall

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by thebranded, Nov 3, 2018.

1. thebranded

thebranded Member

Just found our the side of my mums garage has bees living there, they are inside the side wall.

Whats the best way to move them? can i smoke them out and they wont come back?

There is parkland/reserve that is walking distance, but dont know how to transport them

Cant get access to inside the wall as have shelves on the inside of the garage and the outside is blue board that has been rendered. There was a weather strip across the top meant to seal the wall to the roof but has expanded and and opening from there is how they got in.

2. slavewone

slavewone Member

Don’t do it yourself, get a professional. You want someone who will give the bees a new home, not kill them.

You are going to need to get into the wall to remove the comb anyway so might as well do it non lethally.

http://www.aussieapiaristsonline.net/bee-removal.html

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  3. Bourke

Bourke Member

If you had access to the hive/swarm, then you/anyone could smoke them, pick up the combs+queen, and most the bees will follow or scatter, they center around the queen.
    You can call a local bee keeper to suss it out, if he can box them, it's free money to him.

If you are that scared of them, then poison the only way.

Since they have been there a while without bother, why not leave them.....The queen has a life-span, when she dies the colony will collapse and everyone will leave.
    Or she has daughter queens, who get knocked up so to speak and carry on the colony in the wall, which is like a 5-10% chance of happening.
    When a swarm happens, it's a fertile queen bee mating with drones, then they settle in a hollow and start a colony/hive.

Personally, i'd rip the wall open, smoke them out, put the hive in a box to start a bee hive and take as much of the honey in the comb in the wall.

4. underskore

underskore Member

I had some bees swarm into my backyard not to long ago - I found a local bee-catcher that was advertising on gumtree, if they were easy enough to get he'd take them for free so I'm not sure if a basic operator would be interested in an in-wall job but you might get lucky or at least get pointed in the right direction.

In the end my swarm moved on about 60 mins before that bloke was meant to arrive.

5. scon

scon Member

Call a professional.

6. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Or call a local bee keeper's association. A member might come and do it for free.
    The difference is they're likely to advocate removing a wall panel whereas exterminators will just gas it.