1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Remote trigger flash use - sync curtain line showing (but <max sync speed)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by MickybD, Oct 3, 2016.

1. MickybD

MickybD Member

I was trying to take some pics the other day using my Yongnuo YN622C mounted on my Canon camera with a 580EXII mounted on a Yongnuo YN622 as a receiver. I was only using a shutter speed of 1/125 (so well inside the camera's max flash sync speed), yet I was getting the curtain line appearing in the shot like I was exceeding the sync speed. I have been using the triggers for a while and don't recall having that issue before.

Any thoughts on what might have happened...?

2. humanrace

humanrace Member

I found the YN622 became unreliable when batteries got old - are they fresh/freshly charged?

3. OP
    OP
    MickybD

MickybD Member

I would have thought they should be OK as the triggers have not seen a lot of use and I have alkaline batteries in there. However, I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the thought.

4. lench

lench Member

at a complete guess. is HSS turned on? check if the flash (or the camera settings) is set to '2nd curtain sync'

5. OP
    OP
    MickybD

MickybD Member

Are you suggesting I should have HSS or 2nd curtain sync on, or shouldn't have them on? I'll have to check my settings, but I think HSS was turned on. However, my shutter speed was only 1/125th or thereabouts. (Does having HSS turned on when it is not required actually mess it up?)