1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing 'licence' sticker from PC Case

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Ahux, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Smegger

Smegger Member

Hmmm very messy indeed.

My comments were made from my personal experience, having worked previously for a few schools and licencing being one of my responsabilities.

I actually was so confused with the whole licence scheme MS had at the time I rang them to clarify. They sent a rep out to one of the schools to meet with me and go over the situation.

What I stated was how it was explained to me. HOWEVER that was a few years ago, and I should not have assumed things were still the same.

Now that I think back on it, I feel even more foolish as I recall how they changed the rules on us 3 times in one year for office licences.

Initially teachers were allowed to install office at home. They changed that shortly after to not being allowed to install at home at all.
    Then they(MS) wanted each machine licenced.(Previously we had one licence for the school)
    Then (absurdly) they wanted (insted of the licence scheme) to charge PER STUDENT at the school.

All this took place in a period of about 3 months.

Point is, if they can't decide how the hell can we know whats going on?

2. d_hall

d_hall Member

Given that "HARDWARE" is capitalised like that, I suspect you'll find it quite clearly defined somewhere else in the EULA.

Furthermore, given that it says "...as a single integrated product..." that implies to me that you need enough hardware to make a system (presumably one that runs XP) before you qualify for an OEM license, and that you can't farm off the Windows license nor any of that hardware separately.

I can legally by blank DVDs or shotgun cartridges, but that doesn't necessarily allow me to use them however I feel like.

3. OP
    OP
    Ahux

Ahux Member

Yep Just before it:
    Clearly states that it can be just a component.
    what it implies is irrelevant. What it STATES is what we are concerned about. Since they specifically term hardware as being a system OR component, the software can have theoretical integration into a component as if they can not be seperated.
    What's that got to do with the price of eggs? In that sentence I was talking about legally (within MS's rules) aquiring the actual license. Not how it's used.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  4. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

To Clear Up A Few MS Windows Uncertaintys:

Windows is Bound to the Hardware and via "Activation" keeps track of changes you do.

Every Piece of Hardware on the original computer you installed XP on has 1 "point" except for 1 part which has 2 points (I forget which one) for a total 7 Points.

If you remove 3 points it will be required to "activate" again, if it has already been activated already you will need to explain to the ms representative that you have upgraded your pc, MS activation representatives are ok with it, but lawyers aren't which is a good thing lawyers are lawyers and not MS Tech Supp....

Technically:

It is not ok to install xp on more than 1 pc. it is ok for upgrading your pc. if you take all your original components out of your case and put them into another case that is fine as "activation" does not give any points to the case.

5. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

they don't care about you upgrading your pc with your legal version of xp, they do care when someone is trying to install xp on several computers usually accompinied by an illegal copy of ms software.

on a sidenote I heard compaq (they brought digital! bastards!) had created a special bios to prevent swapping of components in a compaq machine?

6. SeraphMog

SeraphMog Member

This seems to be off-topic, but I think it's relevant.
    Ive just gotten off the phone with MS support, as my mobo died and was wondering if my OEM would work on a new mobo.
    Apparently, the OEM version is tied to the motherboard on activation. Upgrading other components is okay though. Technically it'll work fine on a new mobo, but it wont activate.
    He will be able to change the case, but not the motherboard.

7. gjbrook

gjbrook Member

My MS Windows OEM XP Pro is OEM purchased through auspcmarket.

Just prior to Xmas I had reason to replace the bare Motherboard in my PC (ASUS A8V) and there was no issue. The PC just rebooted without any mention of Product Activation

8. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

yeah, you then call MS Activation Line, Talk to the nice indian man and explain you upgraded your pc and he will give you an activation code. done and done.

9. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    I found that it only requires the phonecall if you reactivate it too many times within a set time period. ie When I trashed my HD while testing OC limits several times after replacing some hardware. Then the nice American man at Tech Support ok'd it. (I called at ~7am Sunday morning here. :) )

More recently, if I got to the point where it says "Call M$", I left it for nearly the full month & tried again with no problem. :) This was after some HD replacements/failures. :(

Is it against the letter of the EULA? Perhaps, but if you aren't trying to rip off M$ they probably won't care. It becomes a comparison of the letter & spirit of the law. Here in Oz, M$ provides you with MP10 which will happily let you rip your cds to MP3s, but under our law THAT is illegal! :p

10. Smegger

Smegger Member

I'd like to see what a real lawyer(as opposed to forum-pseudo-lawyers) has to say about all of this.

I mean regardless of what Macrohard says, we do have our own laws here and I'd like to see how the EULA fits, or doesn't.

I remember reading one(Win95 I think) that not only removed responsibility from MS for the software working, but also if there was actually anything on the CD.

11. catfish

catfish Member

You can buy an OEM copy of Windows with any essential non-peripheral piece of hardware. Apparently mice and keyboards are not considered peripherals.

It’s not hard to work out what the cheapest essential piece of hardware is. A CLUE: It is THE MOST essential part.

And the OEM licence is suppose to stay with the MB it's first used with.

12. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

How many people have you seen sued because they removed their license sticker?

Point is Microsoft are doing this as an initial check to prevent pirated copys and after the Disaster of 2002 I don't blame them :tired:

Please just leave it at that and no one will get hurt :mad:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  13. SeraphMog

SeraphMog Member

Was it the same motherboard and did you reinstall WinXP?

14. Smegger

Smegger Member

No, no, no, you missunderstand. I didn't mean we should start a class action suit against MS or anything.

I would just like to know, out of interest, what the actual legal circumstance is here. AND how it fits in Australian law.

Thats, all. No more no less. Just understanding.

15. Sock-Munkie

Sock-Munkie Member

illegal to change hardware???

About the new hardware bit... I recently added another HDD to my box and rearanged the ide configuration. Windows told me to re activate because "my hardware setup has changed too much". That is pretty much what it said. About that sticker. Right down all the info in multiple places so you don't lose it and then just rip the sticker off. You wont need the physical sticker. just the info

16. gjbrook

gjbrook Member

It was a different mobo (same type) and I did not do a re-instal of XP.
    I just ensured that the mem, drives and HDTV card etc were in same connectors etc.
    I had actually ghosted just in case nothing worked. I was actually very surprised that it just fired up and worked

Regards

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

oh ok.

Well I do know that the EULA and other Terms and Agreements are specially written up under International Use so they would apply, and Im sure RIAA is replaced with appropriate music trading council etc

19. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah I could see compaq lasting long in the marketplace now with a non-upgradeable computer

20. Jaffa_Cree

Jaffa_Cree Member

there seems to be alot of confusion with OEM and RETAIL MS software
    i would like to clarify on a few things

OEM Windows that came preloaded is attached/married with that computer configuration. MS will permit you do change minor hardware items such as RAM, IDE devices, PCI cards etc. But once you touch the motherboard, then that breaches your EULA, and you will need to purchase a new license.
    If you buy a new computer, you cannot transfer your EULA.
    This is what your software license dictates, you still can go ahead and install, nothing will stop you but when you activate it too many times you will have to ring MS Tech Support and they are more stringent on OEM software.
    Some Tech Support staff even knowing you got OEM and have upgraded and changed computers will not mind, while others will warn you of the OEM EULA and advised you are in breach and they will not activate it for you.
    In extreme circumstances, if your motherboard was damaged that would essentially mean your OEM License has died. But if some incidents they will let you pass if the same motherboard was replaced under warranty.

In regards to OEM software purchased with qualifying hardware, it is meant to be attached to that specific hardware you purchased.
    But generally what happens is, once you install that OEM copy onto the first computer configuration then it is married to that computer/motherboard. Then it is bound by the same OEM EULA as above.

Retail software is entirely different, because you pay HEAPS more for a retail copy you get the benefit of a transferable product.
    Also depending on the EULA of the retail product you might be able to install it onto more then 1 machine so refer to the EULA
    e.g. Office 2003 Retail can be installed on 1 desktop and 1 notebook provided it is used by the same person