Removing Pop os Encryption

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Patak, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Patak

Patak Member

Hello all,

I bought a 480GB Kingston A400 SSD that i put Pop os on.
    As i was going through the set up procedure i chose to encrypt the data.

The question i have is if i was to be on my windows PC can i Disk Part/ Disk Clean this SSD then reformat and have the SSD still function properly? I.E will it remove all data and put the drive back to almost as i bought it?

I have done a bit of searching on the net and this forum but seem to find conflicting information.

What i am trying to do with this hard drive is take it out of my PC ( i am writing this post on this OS ATM) and put it into a laptop, i can not get it to boot so thought it my be due to the encryption.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Primüs

Primüs Member

The Encryption is a filesystem wrapper on top of LVM i believe (LUKS) - this should mean it should work like any other drive when moving it around.

If moving it from desktop to laptop and it doesnt boot, you may have to jump into BIOS and check boot order, or it could be your desktop used Legacy booting and your laptop looking for UEFI booting, so the drive doesnt have a UEFI bootloader. You could try force boot by the drive by bringing up the boot menu and selecting the SSD manually.

All-in-all, if you reformat the SSD (Dont have to do a clean per-se) then it should be blank and free to use however you like, you will need to re-install your OS though.

Patak likes this.
  3. schnappy

schnappy Member

Encryption changes how your 1's and 0's are stored on the disk - it is meant to make it impossible to read without the key to decrypt them.

Practically speaking, when you 'reformat', you are just getting rid of all the 1's and 0's - it doesn't matter how they were before.

Extra info:
    Usually unless you are doing a 'secure erase' 'nuke' a 'zero' or other type of wipe, the 1's and 0's actually stay as they were until overwritten by new data. A 'reformat' is telling your disk's internal software that the 1's and 0's are available to be written over. Especially if the old format was encrypted there is usually little to no reason to zero a disk if you are going to be using it again yourself. My understanding is that the premise of most data recovery software is that it is able to read the 1's and 0's after you formatted/deleted a file but has not yet be physically rewritten on the disk. When you delete a file, you are really just marking the 1's and 0's as available to be reused for other data ('free space') rather than setting it all to 0's, so it is possible to still read the data with the right tools.

Hope the extra background is helpful.