Removing RAM retaining clips?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bumography, Feb 27, 2019.

1. bumography

bumography Member

Hi,
    Has anyone removed RAM retaining clips before?
    I have a GALAX EXOC 1070 which I purchased second hand as well as a H370 board.
    The problem is the GALAX has a thick ass backplate, currently its on the 4X slot (which still doesnt fit properly as the HD Audio clip is in the way). It doesn't fit on the PCIEx16 because of the ram retaining clips

One option is to remove the backplate, but that's not going to happen as it seems i have to take the entire heatsink off (Got no spare thermal paste anyway).
    So does anyone know if the RAM retaining clips are easy to remove? I've seen a video on youtube with the PCIE clips and am wondering if its similar or if anyone else that has done this will know better.

Thanks.

2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Not if you still want you Ram to be install-able. Only option as far as i'm aware would be to cut then off but you you might have retention issues.

3. ryanfav

ryanfav Member

The other alternative is to measure your clearance, you may instead be able to shave it thinner with a knife, I doubt you need to remove the whole clip,

4. Hater

Hater Member

Yeah i've done it. Only way to get HP server ram into a Mac Pro (6,1)

Apart from destroying a stick from being hamfisted, i've had no issues actually running sticks like that

5. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Trim them back but lol I wouldn't have noting holding dimms in place, kindia.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I personally don't see an issue with it. The clips stop the ram from coming out if the machine is moved. I can't see how the clips would make a difference if the ram is firmly seated and the machine isn't moved around. The clips don't exert any pressure as such.

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The clips are easy to remove applying the right amount of pressure and care when removing it (don't flex it sideways as this causes stress to the DIMM slot). Also easy to re-install it back in place.