1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Renovation Fitout

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by whatdoesthisdo, Aug 17, 2021.

1. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Planning out the data cabling and hardware requirements for our renovation currently underway.

upload_2021-8-17_13-35-58.png

Questions:
    1. Do I need runs for in-ceiling speakers or is wifi good enough? We haven't picked any hardware here yet but want to have speakers throughout the house and be able to have zones
    2. What network switch do you guys recommend? I'll need at least 6-10 POE preferably with autosensing so I don't accidently fry something. Feature rich but muppet friendly? lol
    3. On the above recommendation what size rack will I need? The smaller the better
    4. Do I need to worry about a patch panel. It looks like more work than just chucking rj45's onto the ends that terminate in the garage
    5. Have I missed anything?
    Sorry about the noobness. This is my very first networking project.

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

1: If not running speaker cable who do you intend send signal or to power them?

2: how ever mean ports you have Unifi have a good range also covering for WAPs and cameras

3: Use a spreadsheet to factor in how many RU's you will need.

4: a registered cabler will install onto patch panel... Using plugs is so years ago

5: Consulting a professional

3. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

1: Well if not speaker wire then they would be wifi so would require a powerpoint. Hence the "is wifi good enough" comment or does everyone recommend hard wiring? I was sure there was wifi solutions but I guess not?
    2: Yes I understand that I need the same amount (or more) ports lol. I am specifically after model numbers that would cater for a small home network especially alternatives to unifi as they seem to be on the more expensive side and considering I'll hardly be using all the functions, it might not be the best bang for buck.
    3: That doesn't help
    4: Couldn't care less if it's years ago, I am more interested in what benefits, if any, in having a patch panel as I can't see any from the looks of it. I assumed I would be charged more for terminating to a panel than simple rj45 jacks?
    5: What do you think I am doing on here lol.

My mate is a registered electrician and cabler but he is getting a little long in the tooth and is not exactly "on the cutting edge" of technology lol. My smart light switches were the first ones he had ever seen or installed plus I can get all the hardware at much better rates than he can due to my work. So I need to supply everything call him and he connects where necessary. If I tell him to terminate to rj45 jacks thats what he will do. If tell him to terminate to a patch panel then low and behold patch panel it is.

4. Tinian

Tinian Member

If things don't move, hardwire them in.
    Rack depth and capacity (height) is dependent on what you're putting in there. A 450mm deep will suffice for modern switching gear.
    If you have NBN or a small modem then a patch panel and a switch only take up a few RUs.
    Terminating is terminating. A patch panel in a rack looks neater, takes less room and affords you the ability to expand if required (i.e. run more cable).

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  5. Pugs

Pugs Member

While he is your mate... Get someone who is up to the Current standards and tech... other wise you are wasting time and money..

6. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I doubt that very much.

Mjölnir likes this.
  7. Renza

Renza Member

While its cheaper to terminate onto plugs directly, solid core should not be moved around a lot as its designed to be terminated onto keystone jacks and not be disturbed. I also believe its a legal requirement to be terminated onto keystone jacks or a patch panel.

8. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Cheers, well that makes the decision easier. My mate hasn't looked at the job yet, so less fluffing around for him if I have everything there when he comes round.

9. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

You're going to have to pick your solution. I presume some form of network controlled speaker here, does it even come with an ethernet jack to start with. I got lots of Apple gear, so use Airplay steaming from phones and iPad's to an Airport Express into some nice powered bookshelf speakers mounted on the ceiling. It was easy for me to wire in, so I did, but it would also work just as well on the wifi.

Ubiquity is the real nice gear with a slick UI for management, but for just a dumb layer 2 setup with everything just plugged in you are not going to touch any of those nice features.
    Go second hand, find some decommissioned 48 port POE switch form Cisco, HP, Netgear, etc off eBay. The only drawback is they come with really loud fans, so expect to buy some nice quiet 40mm fans to swap them out.

I bought a bunch of 48 port cisco POE switches for on average $120 a switch, but they are only 10/100 not gigabit, which was fine for my uses.

POE will never fry anything, even if it isn't a POE device, so don't worry about that.
    You don't need a rack. Just something to hold the patch panel and the switch will do.
    Put in the patch panel, it'll be nicer. You're saving $80 on a patch panel and $80 on patch cables. Terminating is going to take the same time.
    Any home server/NAS going in here too? Otherwise it is just 3RU of space for the switch and the patch panel, which is fine.
    Consider putting the switch and terminating everything in the Office. Build some custom cupboard storage in the corner and slap the networking gear on the top shelf, it'll want a little bit of ventilation though.

10. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

1. You either run speaker cables for the speakers or power cable for wifi speakers. One you can do yourself and the other you need the electrician friend to do it.

2. Depends what you plan to use for APs/Cameras. If all your devices are 48v PoE then any generic brand PoE switch will suffice. Ubiquiti if you have a mix of 24v and 48v PoE. Also do the math and ensure the PoE of the switch can handle the total power of all the devices you plan to connect now and in the future. Go gigabit as well.

3. 12 RU wall mount

4. Always go the patch panel for the amount of runs you have indicated.

5. Re-think the amount of hard wired connections you plan to have in some rooms. So much just runs off wifi these days. Adjust to allow for more APs. Use hard wired ethernet for things that need gigabit or a solid connection (TV for streaming / streaming server / NAS etc)

? Does your electrician mate do much structured data cabling work as this is the best indicator of how good he will be at it.

11. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Does a patch panel need to be PoE rated or can they all handle it?

12. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

There is no such things a a PoE patch panel, that should answer that.

Pugs and whatdoesthisdo like this.
  13. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Some manufactures add the poe compliant so people think their patch panel is better than others but it's just marketing.
    There is such a thing as a poe patch panel but it should be called a midspan poe injector patch panel. You patch your non poe switch to this patch panel, you then patch from the poe patch panel to your outlet in your real patch panel. The poe patch panel is like a through adaptor, one goes in and one goes out. It's a dumb device that is injecting the poe power into the cable. It's just combining 24 poe injectors into a patch panel form.
    There are other things you can use it for other non poe switches but that's a bit over the top here for the explanation.

14. McRutch

McRutch Member

depends what your budget is on the speakers, I like to wire all the rooms back to the rack and put a bunch of sonos amps, pretty expensive kit to be putting in a dusty garage though..