Replacement drive for NFS

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by easterhat, Sep 3, 2012.

1. easterhat

easterhat Member

Hi all,

I recently returned a Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 5K3000 for RMA and it looks like it's been lost in the post. I (on reflection) realised I didn't pack it properly and stupidly didn't get it sent via registered post, so lesson learned there.

I have a ZFS pool with 3 remaining 2TB drives running FreeNAS 0.7.2 and need to pop in another drive to recreate the array. I don't think they sell the same model of drive any more, are there any issues with putting in a random 2TB drive?

2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Not sure about ZFS but I have used a Seagate 3TB in my array of 3TB Hitachis while I waited for a RMA replacement (Adaptec 51645 hardware raid) with no ill effects and people are always going on about how flexible ZFS is so I would assume its the same or better.

That being said I have had issues where some drives are smaller than others (by a few MB) and if the drive you are adding to the array is smaller than the smallest drive in the array they you cant add it.

3. KriiV

KriiV Member

From what i've been able to glean from Google, it should be fine.

4. sotech

sotech Member

It will work whatever drive you put in there - you'll probably take a performance hit if you mix 4K and 512b drives, though. In my experience it's not a huge difference if you do so, particularly if you're accessing over the network and are already well over the gigabit saturation point, but running 4k drives with the wrong ashift definitely does have an impact.