Replacing a D200 with a D90 or D5000. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by redhairkid, Feb 25, 2010.

1. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

Hi all

I'm contemplating selling my D200 to replace it with something along the lines of a D90 or D5000. Reason being as I would like something that records video without the need to carry an extra video camera. I will be doing a 2 month Europe and Iceland holiday in June and I want something light and something that can record video. My current video camera is an old DV JVC which has a busted firewire port so I can't transfer the footage onto the computer. Question, would replacing a D200 with a D90 or D5000 be considered a downgrade?

The main things I'm concerned about is the image quality and noise control. The noise on a D200 is pretty bad and I'm assuming that seeing as the sensors in the D90 and D5000 are newer, noise control should be a lot better. Are the sensors the same as the ones used in the D300/s? Megapixels don't concern me but again I assume the new sensors should produce better quality images? They all use the CAM1000 autofocus system so focus speed and accuracy should be the same amongst them all? The D5000 doesn't have an in-body focus motor but the main lenses I'll be using is a Tokina 12-24mm and a 55-200mm AF-S VR lens, both of which I'm pretty sure have their own built in AF motor. The D90 seems to have a higher quality LCD. Is it that much better or noticeable than the one on the D200 and D5000?

Putting aside the above, are there any other advantages or disadvantages from replacing a D200 with a D90 or D5000? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

D90 would be my pick.

You only really lose the 'pro' build quality and CF. Everything else is better.

D5000 will be a bit 'meh' coming from a D200.

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Love my D90

If we do a Syd meet you can always have a play with mine see if you like it before you buy.

4. Bleemv1

Bleemv1 Member

I'd go the D90.

Also, with the video mode don't forget that there is no autofocus. Manual only.

5. KaineZX9R

KaineZX9R Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  6. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Definitely the D90 since you only care about IQ and something noise control at high ISO.

7. crepuscular

crepuscular Member

In terms of sensor, upgrade

In terms of control, downgrade, especially the D5000

I got both the D90 and D5000, D5000 is good for the awkward angles or lifting above the crowds :p

will let go my D5000 next week or the week after, pm me if u are interested ;)

8. SyN

SyN Member

if youre coming from D200 then i suggest D300s
    video + performance and the same build quality youre used to
    prices have gone down to about $1700 now which aint much, but the D90 is still supreme value
    really depends on your budget and how much you want video function on your DSLR

supposedly the D300s has optimised iso performance over D300, but probably not as significant as the D3s is to the D3

this is what bythom recommends for d200 upgrades as of 7/09 (half a year ago)

ps. check whether your 12-24 tokina has in built motor, because mine doesnt

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  9. sheezymaneezy

sheezymaneezy Member

I was about to say what Syn said. I would stick with the D200 if you want to go to a D90. If you were to upgrade, I would look only at the current model that replaced the D200, so a D300 or higher. But that's my opinion
    Check out this link by Thom
    http://www.bythom.com/upgradepath.htm

10. OP
    OP
    redhairkid

redhairkid Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I've thought about it a bit more and I think the best option would be to just get some sort of video camera and keep the D200 for now. When I get a chance I'll probably upgrade to something in the same class. I really like the build quality and I've shot with it while in pouring rain and it hasn't failed yet. I've never held a D90 or a D5000 but judging by the pics they're both probably too small for my hands anyway.

11. FB008

FB008 Member

Mostly already covered, but you have the following reasons in my opinion:

For:
    - Better sensor
    - Much improved battery life
    - Video
    - Weight saving

Against:
    - Controls
    - Build quality

I wouldn't touch the D5000, considering there's not much price difference to the D90.