Replacing Foxtel with NBN

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Jeffo, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Hi Everyone,

Bit of a complicated issue a family member is having. Currently have an older house with no home phone and no copper cabling to the street (not sure what happened as it was like that when they moved in). They do have Foxtel and therefore a cable buried from the road and they have Telstra Cable internet which splits from the same cable under the house.

They have been told that in November the cable internet will no longer work and will therefore need a NBN connection.

Outside the house there is a FTTC but due to no copper cable a line needed to be run.

The solution currently given is to have someone dig up the footpath and driveway and bury a cable. When the NBN installer was told this was not ideal as the garden has had a little money spent on it the question was asked about using the conduit for the foxtel cable. His response was that it was too tight.

My understanding and possible solution is to have the cable cut and pulled through with a copper cable on the end and left behind as the foxtel cable will be redundant. Is this something that could work? Secondly who would be able to do this, they are happy to pay a company to get it setup right for the installers.

As a followup question how is Foxtel working once the NBN swithc over is complete? Does Foxtel work off the NBN?

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

Foxtel is moving to satellite only.

It could be cut and be used at a draw string.. but they will be without a service till it is completely done... and activated

3. caspian

caspian Member

the other challenge being that as the area is FTTC, NBN have not taken ownership of the coax lead-in so technically they can't use it - it belongs to Telstra.

Pugs likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Will all Foxtel be satellite even in the cities? And when is it meant to be switched over?

I was thinking the drawstring idea but I also had a read last night of HFC and possibly using the cable currently there. Apparently you can apply to have a different form of NBN connection but it comes with a cost.

Who would be able to do the install. NBN don't want to touch the existing cable and Foxtel don't seem to know anything about NBN.

As far as going without internet for a while they are ok with this as the 4G signal is decent at the house.

5. caspian

caspian Member

Foxtel is moving to satellite everywhere as Pugs mentioned.

the change of connection type you're thinking of is a technology change, but you can't do it _to_ HFC. only to full fibre, and that would require much the same work at the property to get the fibre lead-in through as it would for a copper one.

if you want an NBN connection to the premises, they're going to have to run a cable in either way.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  6. OP
    OP
    Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Cheers thanks,
    I'll pass it on and see how it goes for them.

7. omen_child

omen_child Member

Where I am they have run fibre to the node, then used the existing cable to distribute to the household. Means we have another box to do that conversion, but it works.

I think it's called HFC?

8. caspian

caspian Member

/head hurts

Pugs likes this.
  9. power

power Member

this is hilarious, OP order Telstra NBN and switch later ;)

banshee likes this.
  10. caspian

caspian Member

that will make zero outcome to the current issue. NBN aren't taking ownership of that Telstra plant as they are not using that technology in that area.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    MrSnuffy and Pugs like this.
  11. Pugs

Pugs Member

No it isn't

12. McRutch

McRutch Member

Is it not like old optus cable overheads where you can call up and request it be pulled down?

call up and tell telstra you want it taken out of the conduit as it's obsolete, hell lie and tell them you're knocking the house down if you have to.

13. caspian

caspian Member

I don't know what arrangements Telstra have for their unused plant. but there's a fairly obvious difference between drop cabling and underground.

14. OP
    OP
    Jeffo

Jeffo Member

I thought it was similar to HFC and was hoping they could connection up that cable to the NBN. However if Foxtel is going to be going a bit longer it makes sense that the cable will need to remain. I told them to get rid of Foxtel for now and just pull the cable through with the new copper attached. Hopefully they can get some answers.

15. caspian

caspian Member

they cannot cut Telstra's cable. even if the Foxtel service is discontinued, NBN does not have the rights to.

16. OP
    OP
    Jeffo

Jeffo Member

If Foxtel is cancelled can a technician come and remove the cable?

17. caspian

caspian Member

I have no idea. ask Telstra.

Pugs and Jeffo like this.
  18. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

He wouldn't be supposed to (it's Telstras) .... but he could.

If you mean a "Telstra technician" .... I very much doubt Telstra will want to do that.... but give it a try.

19. caspian

caspian Member

the difference probably being that Optus cabling is primarily overhead and thus they get rid of a fee to the pole asset owner from removing the drop cable.

Telstra cabling is mostly underground and they own the pit and pipe. NBN are not paying them to do anything with it, so no upside them to do anything.

of course they probably wouldn't notice if the dead coax was used as a draw rope to get a copper LIC through, but that wouldn't stop them holding NBN accountable for touching their asset.

[hmm.... the post I replied to seems to have been deleted.]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021