1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing GPU Fan Tech questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Pr3dator8, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Hey guys,
    I want to replace the fans on my GPU with some Noctua fans (mostly to reduce noise, but it seems it also increased cooling performance too?) Its a Gigabyte RTX2070 Windforce.

Ive measured it up and I am going to use 2x Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM Fans.

I guess my question is two parts. Idealy id like to patch the fans in to the onboard GPU fan header but im not sure what the headers power capabilities are etc. And i dont want to risk potentially damaging the card if the fans draw more than the card is capable of handling. Any resources or way of testing that?

My other idea would be to split the fan harness and use the gpu header to control the fan speed while using a motherboard header as the source for power. But im not sure if that is possible as im not too confident on how PWM works.

Main reason/though process behind these options is I want to keep the gpu as the source that throttles the fans as required.

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance :)
    Sham

2. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Just to expand on my second question. Based on this image. Can I use the “tach” and “pwm” pins on the gpu to control fan speeds and ground and 12v on the mobo to supply the power.

https://images.app.goo.gl/BaknrX6oKAE5L45w8

3. bYrd

bYrd Member

I wouldn't bother, you're not going to improve cooling with two lower powered fans designed for low noise - the three high powered, variable fans are there for a reason (as is your ~ $900 investment in a high end GPU)

4. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

I get what you’re saying but yeh I’m doing it because I’m going for noise reduction. They get fairly loud when I’m gaming

5. havabeer

havabeer Member

Water cool. Its the only way, plus you get better temps and lower noise

6. argent

argent Member

Alternative to a custom loop watercooler - get a Kraken G12 and a compatible AIO. It's pretty effective!

7. straiton

straiton Member

make a custom fan profile and put up with higher temps while gaming?

8. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

Yer I ran a Noctua zip tied to GPU HS after wind force fans started to rattle - gg, but you are a brave man with a soldering iron!

9. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

After alot of googling, it is possbile to do what i want to do and run the power side of the pwm from the mobo and the speed signal from the gpu :) so im going to grab one of these and depin it

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37307/ek-cable-pwm-fan-adaptor-for-gpu-50cm

Bolter01 likes this.