Replacing LaCie Firewire 500Gb HDD with SSD

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by daehenoc, Jun 21, 2017.

1. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Hi, as noted in the other thread, I've got a 500Gb LaCie external Firewire HDD. I've cracked it open and it's a 500Gb SATA HDD. I've got a spare 120Gb Intel SSD SATA3 that I'm thinking putting in there, which would significantly increase the random access over Firewire, but would it make a significant increase in general access over Firewire?

Now that I've had time to think about it, will I notice a massive difference, over Firewire, by replacing the HDD with the SSD?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. Paronga

Paronga Member

I've wondered this for a while. Could you please try it and let me know? I'm especially interested as a boot drive, could you test booting a system off it?

3. Renza

Renza Member

depends what you're using the drive for.

USB3 SSDs work well as a boot drive. Firewire 800 might be ok, bit lacking in bandwidth but will feel snappier than a spinning driver

4. OP
    OP
    daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Well, I dropped the SSD into the firewire enclosure, connected it via USB, formatted the HDD and installed the macOS installer onto it. It all looked good.

I plugged it into a 2010 iMac to boot off and it was S-L-O-W. It booted successfully, but after several minutes of waiting, the progress bar hadn't actually moved at all. By this time a USB3 boot USB would have been half-way booted, even on the 2010 iMac, so I powered it down and cried a little. No, not really, but I will pull the SSD out of the enclosure, oh well!