required sample cut cnc router/engraving copper

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by vltrb-0, Apr 6, 2015.

1. vltrb-0

vltrb-0 Member

im looking to purchase a cnc router for cutting copper something along the lines of a 3040 with a budget of approx AU$1500 (can spend more if required)

Prior to making a commitment i'd like to test this out on a machine of this budget if someone has one available.

Main concerns are how the machine copes cutting copper, accuracy, duration and reliability

Material will be Copper Alloy 110 1/2 Hard, 2mm thick and a shape roughly 100mm x 100mm, mill would be required to cut through entire 2mm sheet to release the component

I have CAD drawings available but have only previously had them cut using fibre so the file may need to be altered to allow for mill bit

Happy to exchange material, supply suitable cutting bits or compensation for time etc

Located Melbourne Metro

Thanks

2. pippin88

pippin88 Member

You should look at a mill rather than a router. I think copper benefits from flood coolant also.

What was wrong with getting them cut with fibre?

3. OP
    OP
    vltrb-0

vltrb-0 Member

flood coolant is prefered but hoping i can get away without it on small jobs

fibre cut process is amazing, excellent finish but i have no control over turn around time (upto 3 weeks), large min orders, poor tolerance control and i'm finding i don't get all of the scrap material back :rolleyes:

4. ericks

ericks Member

I have a 6040 and use it on plastic, alum, copper and brass up to 10mm thick. There will be some flex on the machine with these metals if you try to cut too much per run. I take off a small amounts but at high feed rate. My machine is very accurate, I also use it to machine pcb's. If I had to do it again I would buy the 3040 with no electronics. On my machine I replaced the spindle motor and the stepper drivers. Haven't ever "missed" a single step since...:)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  5. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey Op, National manufacturing week is in melb next month, if you get a chance go check it out & speak to the different seller;)