Reservoir for aesthetics

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by zero_velocity, Sep 19, 2011.

1. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Has anyone ever considered getting a tube-style reservoir and putting it in a case where the water flows up through the bottom and out the top and vise-versa (generally the fill-port) for mere aesthetics? Im considering the idea, I already have a bay res+pump combo so theres no real need for a reservoir, I think it wud just be cool to have one in there next to the motherboard....

Opinions?

I know it adds no real performance gain..... but its water cooling.... we do what we must because we can right?

2. 3th4n

3th4n Member

My opinion is that it would be a pain in the ass to bleed.

But so long as it has a tube that will go into the water then yep, should work.

3. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

where would the pump be in this loop?
    before or after
    i suspect it will be difficult if not impossible to prime/bleed

i kinda get the idea, but don't see how it will improve aesthetics as you wont be able to see the water moving.

4. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

You will need to remove all air from the reservoir if you are going to use the flow direction you indicated in your post, that is bottom to top.

5. OP
    OP
    zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

well, in my loop specifically it would go;

res > pump > 120.3 > cpu > 120.2 rad > 6970 > 6970 > 140.1 > HERE > res

I would imagine, it would just take a little bit of time, and I know you wouldn't actually see the water moving, unless you had an air gap and the water fed into the top

The way it would be situated in my build, i reckon i could feed the water right into there through just filling the res a little slower.

Im thinking that it may be a better idea to actually turn the tube upside down, so there are more ports on the top and the fill-port on the bottom, and this would allow an air bleed to be used

aesthetics-wise, I just think they look nice, especially when they're filled with a few LED's to light them up, except I never really liked the look of them when they;re not completely filled (air gap at the top) hence why I dont want one as a reservoir. It would also be a nice bridge to fill the little bit of case left between my mobo and the front of the case

Edit: Considering the layout of my setup, it would appear that the top of the tube res would be lower than the intake on the bay res/pump, I believe this would help considerably for bleeding and filling....

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

i think the only way that would work would be to have a tube run from the top of the res all the way to the bottom, then making sure you dont over fill it.

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I mean like this;

Click to view full size!

You will only see that there is water in there, u wont actually see it moving, it does not perform in any form like a reservoir, it is purely to have a tube in there with water flowing through it, lit with LED's

8. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

pretty redundant if you cant see the water flowing.
    might aswell have a fat cathode standing there on its own.

9. OP
    OP
    zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

You dont actually see the water flowing in a normal reservoir.... but IMO its cool to see tube of water seeing there. I know there's no performance benefit (no significant one anyway) but the thought of a tube lit with LED's there would just be cool IMO, just wanted to know if anyone else had done it....

10. Copie

Copie Member

It would look cool with the Mayhems pearlescent dyes that will be released shortly, but apart from that, its a no.

11. 3th4n

3th4n Member

OH yeah I understand now. All your really doing is replacing a piece of flexible tubing for a non-flexible 'tubing'.

Yep, you wont have problems with that. So long as you understand that you cannot treat it like a res.

12. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

just add one of these for the looks

[​IMG]

13. Copie

Copie Member

Mmmmmm T-virus res, id love to get one.

14. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I had that briefly - it doesn't work. The water shoots up to the top of the res, sprays all over the place, and fills itself with air (kind of like how you aerate a fish tank). Problem is, this means your continually putting air into the loop - it never bleeds properly, so you always have that annoying loud 'air bubbles in the pump' sound.

15. OP
    OP
    zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I actually planned to get a t-virus res for the job :lol: although i need to do a little more research before i buy. I know it wont actually function as a res, as i said before i aready have a bay res/pump combo for that

16. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

It's actually a FrozenQ Liquid Fusion res :)

They have these nice rad mounts so you can mount the res on the fan screw holes. Very nice indeed.

17. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

tbh I see absolutely no point. If you can't see the water actually moving through the res, all you will end up with is a clear 'block' of water in between your tubes.

I mean knock your socks off if you want to do it, but the benefit of putting a res in your loop is to allow it to bleed itself over time and catch any air that might be flowing through the loop. Your intended use for a res would result in it still effectively being a closed loop, so you would have to put extra emphasis on making sure there was absolutely no air in there at all.

18. dreamaxx

dreamaxx (Banned or Deleted)

I would think it'll just cause a decrease in flow rate too

19. OP
    OP
    zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I dont see how, it wud b less restrictive than the tube??

20. Mikio

Mikio Member

haters gonna hate, just do it bro.