Restore iBook/iBook G4 without OS X disc

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Stooge007, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hi all

cleaning out the garage, and i've got 3 x iBook G4's and a previous gen iBook i want to tidy up and donate/sell to a collector

so from what i read on Google, i need the Mac OS X disc to do a full factory restore

i don't have these discs

so i did some more searching, and did this to one of the machines (one of the G4's):

1. boot computer and hold the "apple" key and the "s" key.
    2. wait for terminal show
    3. release keys
    4. type without the quotes: "/sbin/mount -uaw"
    5. press enter
    6. type without the quotes: "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
    7. press enter
    8. type without the quotes: "reboot"
    9. press enter

this then took me through the set up process that seemed to me you would go through when purchasing a new computer (i.e. add user, select time/date etc.)

but i do not think the above necessarily properly wipes the HDD?

only 1 of these machines has some semi-sensitive info on it (the older iBook), the others probably not so much

what's the best way to factory reset these things without a Mac OS X disc?

or should i just pull the HDD from the older iBook and just run the above on the iBook G4's?

or pull all 4 x HDD's and burn them in a fire?

i am not an Apple person, as you might tell!

any help appreciated

cheers

2. bYrd

bYrd Member

As expected the commands you've tried do not wipe a single file - and it's a pain to get to the HD in an iBook taking many steps of disassembly.

Here are the OS X CD image files you need to format the HD and start afresh - go Panther/Mac OS X 10.3.x for any iBook < 256MB RAM and Tiger/Mac OS X 10.4.x for >256MB. Ideally just burn the images to CD, there are methods to boot from USB but it's not officially supported and can result in pulling at hairs.

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc

Put in CD at startup, and hold down "C" immediately after the chime to boot from it. Don't forget to run Disk Utility when booted to hose the HD and reformat.

JB

3. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Reinstalling the OS isn't technically going to wipe the hard drives either. Files may remain on the drive that can be recovered via un-eraser type programs.

To securely erase the drive (note this will erase the drive and OS completely)

from https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-to-wipe-a-mac-hard-drive/

How to Wipe a Mac Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
    1. Make sure your Mac is turned off.
    2. Press the power button.
    3. Immediately hold down the command and R keys.
    4. Wait until the Apple logo appears.
    5. Select “Disk Utility” from the OS X Utilities list. Click Continue.
    6. Select the disk you’d like to erase by clicking on it in the sidebar.
    7. Click the Erase button.
    8. Click the Security Options button.
    9. The Security Options window includes a slider that enables you to determine how thoroughly you want to erase your hard drive.
    There are four notches to that Security Options slider. “Fastest” is quick but insecure — data could potentially be rebuilt using a file recovery app. Moving that slider to the right introduces progressively more secure erasing. Disk Utility’s most secure level erases the information used to access the files on your disk, then writes zeroes across the disk surface seven times to help remove any trace of what was there. This setting conforms to the DoD 5220.22-M specification.

*Note: Selecting the second level is usually enough. level 4 is a waste of time.

1. Once you’ve selected the level of secure erasing you’re comfortable with, click the OK button.
    2. Click the Erase button to begin. Bear in mind that the more secure method you select, the longer it will take. The most secure methods can add hours to the process.
    Once it’s done, the Mac’s hard drive will be clean as a whistle and ready for its next adventure: a fresh installation of OS X, being donated to a relative or a local charity, or just sent to an e-waste facility.

4. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

thanks guys, will give it a crack :)

cheers

5. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

do i need to convert the toast file to a dmg?

i originally downloaded 10.3 but just checked and the iBooks are running 10.4

SMH

6. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

can't get Command + R to boot into recovery mode :(

7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

You can do those same steps, but not from Command+R, do it once you boot to the image you've downloaded. Can still access disk utility from the menu at the installer screen.

8. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

currently downloading Tiger images ...

9. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

so i found some OS X discs

none of the computers will boot to CD (hold down C), and won't boot to recovery to wipe them (hold down Command + R)

so frustrating!

do you need to wait for the start up chime before pressing the buttons?

i tried the buttons before and after the chime, still didn't want to boot to CD or recovery

10. sammy_b0i

Try holding the option key instead of C

Stooge007 likes this.
  11. damo13579

damo13579 Member

Command + R isn't going to work on that mac, it only works on macs running 10.7 or later to boot to the recovery partition, 10.6 and earlier don't have a recovery partition.

Holding C should get it to boot from the DVD drive.

Holding option will get you to the screen where you can pick from any available startup discs. Try this with the disc in the drive, if it doesn't appear either the disc has an issue or the drive has an issue.

the OSX discs you've found and tried, which OSX version are they? Note that if they are the grey discs with white writing on them they are model specific and wont work if you have the wrong ones, the Retail discs have a big X on them and should work without too much issue.

Stooge007 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

yeah, they're grey discs with white writing

do i need to convert a toast file to dmg or iso for it to boot from CD?

13. sammy_b0i

Not if you use the Toast app to burn it, I assume (but could be wrong)

damo13579 likes this.