restoring an old tv, ideas

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by B3ND3R, Jun 23, 2015.

1. B3ND3R

B3ND3R Member

my grandpa has an old b&o crt type tv, with a beautiful wooden cabinet and what were basically their best speakers at the time attached to the side. main problem is the picture tube has image issues, and there are 2 extra circuit boards attached to the standard phillips (i think) tube, so repair is not feasible.

the screen is a 26 or 28" (need to measure) 4:3 screen, my first thought was to hunt down an arcade cabinet display that would fit and run a small pc or raspberry pi to emulate basic TV functions to replace the CRT, yet keep the timber and speakers. before i start hacking away, does anyone have and other ideas of what i could do? its a real art deco sort of item, and would rather update and keep some of the original functionality than just gut it and make it into a shelf etc..

2. @rt

@rt Member

What image issues?

There were so many left on footpaths that there isn’t too much value in any but the very nicest.

There are people who know them inside & out (model specific), and still gathering information:
    https://vintage-radio.com.au/default.asp?f=6

ps.. there are certainly qualified people here, but this is a high concentration of Australian
    TV and radio techs of the day.
    Opinions about repurposing is divided. if you suss it out, for the best potential to receive help,
    it’s better to Xnay the Repurposay.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver Member

Picture tubes can be 'rejuvenated' and if that doesn't work, they can be cut open and rebuilt (recoat/regun).
    This is not cheap, but it can be done.

As for the extra boards, so what, b&o is phillips.
    b&o put a copy of the circuit diagram in the case of the product, so thats not a problem either.

the only reason the tv can't be used is that it's expecting a now defunct analogue signal.

But hey, be easy enough to mod in a digital to analogue converter and control it via its remote..

4. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

I have had a picture tube rebuilt i.e. new phosphor and gun. It's was certainly much easier for a B&W tube than a colour one. I'm not certain if there's anyone left with the kit and the knowledge to do this today.

Here's a thought though on how to keep to keep the original look and feel with modern insides. Cut the CRT so it's only the front section then etch the back of the glass it so it can be used for rear projection. I know there's one company that has a projector module that'd be suitable.

5. HeXa

HeXa Member

which model BeoVision?

6. Shepete

Shepete Member

I was a TV repairer for about 20 years. It used to be relatively common for people to want to fit a colour TV inside the old wooden cabinet of a 3 in 1 or B&W TV. In the old days TV's were really looked upon as a furniture piece.
    Surely the most efficient way would be to find the biggest LCD or Plasma TV you could physically fit in the cabinet, & then build a timber bezel to fit.
    I would think your chances of getting a tube rebuilt these days would be about nil. Also the digital to analog issues just wouldn't be worth the "head fuck" involved.

7. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

If you were asking about projection modules I was thinking of the ones used in Christie's Micro tiles . Awesome product at an unfortunately awesome price but I'm sure there's something similar around but definitely not in the consumer space.

The other alternative would be to hack a consumer projector.

8. OP
    OP
    B3ND3R

B3ND3R Member

Pretty sure it's a beovision 2800 lx.

The 2 extra modules are for more accurate colour reproduction and for keeping the shape and skew more accurate. There is a bunch if constant pink sin waves that move around, so it's unwatchable.

I don't watch broadcast TV, so would rather update to something that can be used daily. 28" 4:3 screens are hard to find so I may end up getting a small lcd that fits and build a shelf underneath to fill the void.

9. spacecabbage

spacecabbage Member

Thinkin outside the box for a minute.. :lol: ..no pun intended.. sorry, yes there was..:p

Remove the CRT Tube/internals and insert an illuminated Fish tank inside it.. :thumbup: You can even put an LCD/nedia player etc.. Behind the Tank to give the fish something to watch.. :D. one of my mates had one setup in his lounge room.. looked a treat and little kids though Nemo was on 24/7... and the fish loved the Jaws / shark backdrop :shock:

SC.. Hack away..

10. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

good on you for trying to save it :thumbup:

11. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

I've got 28" trinitron with a PSU issue if you want that as a donor.
    (PSU failed, repaired, failed, retired)