1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retail PC builders question

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by breno, Jan 18, 2020.

1. breno

breno Member

I have a question, is it common practice for computer stores to not set RAM to run at its rated speed in the Bios as part of the job?

Reason why I ask is, recently my friend whom I got into PC gaming a few years ago bought a high end system and was having some trouble which sounded like overheating with the water cooling. So I asked him to get into the bios, take a photo and send.
    And I noticed that his memory was running at 2133mhz and he's got 3200mhz memory.
    So all these years, it's been at 2133mhz and it got me thinking, do they not set the xmp profile on the job or do they leave that to the end user by practice?
    Personally when I've built a system for someone with memory that runs faster than standard, I set it to its rated speed.

2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I’d say it depends more on how slammed the system builders are.
    I wouldn’t say it’s uncommon.

If it’s just 1 guy and the store wants 30 PCs a day, you better believe that they don’t have time to go in and tweak a thing.

If the person likes their job, and have an acceptable amount of work, say 5 a day, then it’s more likely you’ll get tweaks and often BIOS UPDATES.

3. OP
    OP
    breno

breno Member

Yeah that makes sense, it was built by one of Melbourne's most popular stores.
    I don't pretend to understand how things work for retail but for me personally, configuring the BIOS is part of the build process. Not that there's a great deal to configure these days.
    I assumed if you sell a system with RAM that's rated to run at 3200mhz, that you would build it so it would.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

It could depend on what motherboard they bought. Did they ensure it is capable of supporting 3200?

5. OP
    OP
    breno

breno Member

Good question. I'm not sure of the model but the system he bought has an i7 7700k and 2 1080ti's..im assuming it would support 3200.

6. power

power Member

When I was a system builder you'd generally use bios defaults. Just change things like boot order and update to the current bios at build.

Many other builders are a lot lazier and just slap it all together, if it posts and windows is on it, job done.

karnophage likes this.
  7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Maybe it was set? A failed start up, resetting CMOS, or updating BIOS will reset it back to default. It has been a few years.

greencamel65 likes this.
  8. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Even XMP is not guaranteed compatibility and may result in customer getting BSOD and having to bring it back.

Hassle for both the customer and the store.

greencamel65 likes this.
  9. FOTW

FOTW Member

This is more likely, especially if the RAM has an XMP profile as you would set it when you are setting the boot order. It might add an extra 5-10 seconds to the job.

10. power

power Member

Not worth it. If the customer wants to tweak so be it but defaults are generally the go to.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I couldn't be sure if it was ever common place but I'm sure a lot of places simply just whack ram in and if system boots all good :thumbup:

I would like to think most places would check especially on an exxy top end build.

breno likes this.