Retrieving jammed DVD from player?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by jwai, Jan 27, 2005.

1. jwai

jwai Member

I have a Sony DAV-SC8 (I think that's the model number) DVD home theatre system, but recently, my dad was watching a DVD, and it wouldn't come out. The player is a slot-drive one, and we have no idea how to get the damned thing out. Dad even tried pliers, but you can't even reach in the slot :p

What to do?

2. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

open it up?

3. parasonic

parasonic Member

Unless it's under warranty (I don't know the model/age)...

4. kurwa

kurwa Member

stick a paperclip in the pin hole to open it up
    oh its a slot?

nfi thenperhaps a thin piece of metal with a small hook on the end..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  5. Sparda__666

Sparda__666 Member

i had that same problem with a computer at school that would not give me back a cd. I just turned it off and threw it at the wall a few times and than it worked fine. I am never buying any slot load cd/dvd rom after that.

6. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

the computer or the drive?

7. Sparda__666

Sparda__666 Member

i was not allowed to pull the computer apart to get the drive out so i just threw the whole computer. Teacher draged me outside and yelled at me and never spoke to me for the rest of the year. (did not even give me any school work)

8. Daveo

Daveo Member

Tried shaking it out?

9. joshmc10000

joshmc10000 Member

ROFL!!!!!!! haha man thats the funniest shit i have read in weeks :thumbup:

Im suprised u didnt get suspended or at least detention.... haha good stuff bro. that sounds like a good punishment too....no schoolwork lol

cheers

10. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

if its still under warranty, then take it to the store u bought it from with ur invoice. They'll do thier shit. Its a surprisingly common problem, not just with slot but with tray dvd players as well with rental DVDs that have stickers on them

11. OP
    OP
    jwai

jwai Member

Problem is, the system was obtained by my mother under a work reward scheme, and I can't see any warranty documentation around :(

12. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

dude....then ring up the company and ask them and go to thier service centre. I doubt even they would give u a free repair unless u provide them with documentation about when u got it.

Otherwise, just do it urslf and make sure u dont tamper/tear any "Warrenty void if this sticker is damaged" stickers.

13. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Just ring up the company and see if you can find a tech support area, then ask them what the common solution to this problem is. It is indeed a common problem among both tray and slot loading CD/DVD drives, so they must have some mechanical method for retrieving stuck disks. If you're nice enough the techie will probably tell you how to do it.

14. Digitone

Digitone Member

come have no fear and just pull the dvd player apart, it will be a good experience for you. As long as your carefull you shouldn't have any troubles putting it back together again,

if it was my player I would of had the thing pulled apart and in pieces straight away warranty or not :) :D

I've had to do it may a time on slot DVD players at my old work and also remember the old days of having to pull VCR's apart at home to get stuck videos out

15. pavlos

pavlos Member

lol well the dvd is stuffed as it is, and if you dont have the warranty information for it anyway, then you may as well go ahead and open it because its pointless either way.

just rip the damn thing open and take the disc out. its easy...

16. afro

afro Member

give it a bit of a hit on the top surface just above the drive while hitting eject a few times...

worked for me in the past..